Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kids Cup report: Jamie Rushton – St Peter’s Primary School, Heswall

4 November 2022

Soon after the arrival of the excited St Peter’s players, they began to warm up and started checking out their opposition.

Match One – Bidston Avenue

The sun shone down on the gleaming Astro and a slight breeze drifted through the air. Adam kicked off and the game was underway. Within minutes, the ball fell to Adam’s feet and the opening goal was scored with cheers from the parents erupting into the air. The whistle blew and, as the game resumed, the ball was knocked over the St Peter’s defence where number 10 was lurking, and he calmly tucked it away for the second goal of the matcht to make it 1-1.

With active possession from the St Peter’s half, a ball was played to Bobby who slotted it into the bottom corner to make it 2-1.  

What followed was end-to-end attacks from both sides. Dexter tried to launch a counter-attack from the goal line, but the Biston Avenue goalkeeper gathered and saved their team.  

As the final whistle blew, the teams shook hands and a comfortable 2-1 win for St Peters was celebrated.  

Match Two – Rockferry 

Keen to get back on the pitch, the next match began.  

Sam knocked it back to James and a ball was played over the top to Reuben. The strong Rockferry defence succeeded in the tackle and no goals were scored.  

With a high press from the St Peter’s team, buzzing with energy, a counter-attack sprung in the favour of St Peter’s and it was cleared off the line.  

In the sixth minute, a stunner from Bobby as it flew into the roof of the net to make it 1-0! A huge relief. 

The rest of the match saw lots of action in the midfield, as the referee looked at his watch and blew for full time. A safe win for St Peter’s. 

Match Three – Stanton Road 

After an inspiring team talk from the gaffer, St Peter’s wingers were looking sharp. Freddie made a clearance from an attack, but no goal came.

With an attack on the St Peters goal, Dexter gathered and threw it into James’s path. There was a foul, but he soldiered back up and play continued. 

Rueben the super sub ran onto the pitch and immediately caused an impact, winning the ball and having a shot. What a save from the keeper who played a blinder as it finished 0-0.

Two wins and a draw for St Peter’s. Let’s hope it’s enough!  

The final result 

With hope in their eyes, the team watched Mr Myers walk over and reveal the Golden Ticket, the news they had all been waiting for - they had made it through to the final!  

Advertisement block