Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Weekend round-up: the big results in League One and League Two

9 January 2021

With many EFL Clubs in FA Cup action at the weekend, League One and League Two took centre stage, as nine fixtures took place across the two divisions.

Below, we've selected just five of Friday and Saturday's big results, and explain how they've affected the respective league tables...


Two promotion-chasing sides went head-to-head in front of the Sky Sports cameras on Friday evening, as Charlton Athletic and Accrington Stanley kicked off the weekend's action at The Valley. It was the visitors who came out on top on the night, with a Colby Bishop double enough to see them claim three points to leapfrog their opponents in the League One table. It's a result which leaves Stanley right in the mix, and with games in hand too.


Hayden Carter had a hand in the winner on his Burton Albion debut, as the Brewers claimed their first victory under returning manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, as well as a first clean sheet in 29 league games. While Gillingham had a number of opportunities to draw level, the result means Burton are now five points from safety, although they have played more games than the sides around them in League One. They will hope this is just the start of a run under their new boss.


The game, and comeback, of the weekend came in the North West, as Rochdale battled back from 3-0 down at half-time to pick up a well-earned point against Crewe Alexandra. The visitors raced into a three-goal lead inside 35 minutes, but second-half goals from Aaron Morley and Matty Lund (2), meant the sides shared the spoils, as Dale completed the comeback six minutes from time. The hosts are now just one point from safety in League One.


In one of two late kick-offs in League One on Saturday, Swindon Town picked up a huge victory to move to within a point of safety, thanks in part to a stunning long-range effort from Academy product Scott Twine. The visitors took the lead before being pegged back by James Norwood, but pulled away thereafter to put three important points on the board. Despite scooring a second goal late on, the result represents a slip-up for Ipswich, who are one of several sides within touching distance of the Play-Off places. 


Debutant Reeco Hackett-Fairchild ensured that 10-man Southend United won a fourth straight home game, as his fine strike helped sink Barrow at Roots Hall. The forward, who is on loan from Portsmouth, found the bottom corner with just three minutes on the clock, a goal which means Southend are now just one point from safety at the foot of the League Two table. The win was made more impressive as the Shrimpers had to play more than half an hour without defender Greg Halford, who was sent off.

Advertisement block