Skip to main content Skip to site footer

EFL round-up: Saturday's big results

21 November 2020

It was another day of thrills and spills across the EFL's three divisions on Saturday, featuring big wins (and defeats), comebacks and shock scorelines.

Here are just a selection of the big results following Saturday's action...


AFC Bournemouth 4-2 Reading

Saturday's early kick-off had it all. After some rocky recent form, Reading had looked back to their best at Bournemouth, taking a 2-0 lead into the break following goals from Lucas Joao and Sone Aluko. This was a game of two halves, though, as the hosts fought back in style with four goals in the second period to temporarily move top of the table. Having been top at the start of the day, Reading now sit sixth in the standings.

Barnsley 2-0 Nottingham Forest

Barnsley's climb up the Championship table continued on Saturday as the Tykes made it four wins from five by beating Chris Hughton's Nottingham Forest at Oakwell. Second-half goals from Callum Styles and Cauley Woodrow did the damage, and such is the competitveness of the division, they now sit just six points behind fourth-placed Swansea City. Forest, meanwhile, remain 20th in the table.

Stoke City 4-3 Huddersfield Town

There was a real rollercoaster of a match in Staffordshire, as Stoke City ran out 4-3 winners over Huddersfield Town. Having taken an early lead and then come back from 2-1 down to level the scores, the visitors went in behind at the break following an own goal on the stroke of half-time. Things got worse for Town when Sam Clucas added another after the break and, despite responding once more, it was the home side who took the points. The Potters are now just three points off top spot.


Fleetwood Town 5-1 Plymouth Argyle

Joey Barton's Fleetwood Town turned on the style on Saturday, putting five goals past Plymouth Argyle at Highbury Stadium to move to within just three points of the automatic promotion places. The Cod Army have hit a good patch of form, winning four games from five, while Plymouth are now without a win in two. Fleetwood's next game is another big one, as they welcome Sunderland AFC to the Fylde coast. 

Ipswich Town 2-1 Shrewsbury Town

Ipswich remain within touching distance of the top two after leaving it late to see off Shrewsbury Town on Saturday. Substitute Jack Lankester's 97th-minute header won it for Paul Lambert's side, as the Tractor Boys claimed a sixth straight home league victory; they've conceded just one goal - Shrewsbury's opener - in that period. The Shrews are four points from safety, having claimed two points from their last five games.

Wigan Athletic 1-2 Oxford United

Oxford United claimed a vital victory to move out of the relegation places on goal difference at the expense of fellow strugglers Wigan Athletic. It's a second win in three games for the U's, which suggests they may have turned a corner, and one which was sealed by goals from Matty Taylor and James Henry at the DW Stadium. The hosts responded through Thelo Aasgaard late on, but are second-bottom and five points from safety.


Crawley Town 0-3 Carlisle United

League Two's early kick-off was one to remember for Carlisle United, who made the long journey to Crawley worthwhile, scoring three goals and picking up as many points in the process. It's a victory which means they're just a point off the automatic promotion places, and one which leaves Crawley without a win in three league games. It also put an end to the hosts' 14-match unbeaten home league run.

Newport County 1-0 Port Vale

Forty-one-year-old Kevin Ellison stepped off the bench to score a dramatic injury-time winner as Newport County beat 10-man Port Vale to remain top of the League Two standings. There is now a five-point gap between County and the Play-Off places, and although John Askey's Vale side have now lost three league matches on the spin, they're still just one point off that seventh position. 

Tranmere Rovers 5-0 Grimsby Town

The big winners of the day in League Two were Tranmere Rovers, who recorded a third-straight league victory to continue their impressive charge up the table. The damage was done in the first half, as Rovers went in 4-0 to the good at half-time, and Grimsby's misery was compounded by Paul Lewis after the break. Tranmere are now just two points off the Play-Off places, while Grimsby are four above the drop zone.

Advertisement block