Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Terriers top dog in 2017 Play-Off Final victory

29 May 2020

A day that will long be remembered by Huddersfield Town fans, we look back at how their historic day at Wembley, against a much-fancied Reading side, played out in-front of 76,682 fans.

The 2016/17 season was more than just a season for Huddersfield Town, it was a revolution, according to fans, who claimed to have never seen a season like it. Looking for a place in the top flight for the first time in over 40 years, the 2017 Championship Play-Off Final was arguably one of the most important games the Terriers had ever played.

After seeing off Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Wednesday on penalties in the second-leg of the Play-Off Semi-Finals, David Wagner’s side headed into the showpiece event under the arch in confident mood. The Royals on the other hand, had made home advantage count, seeing off Fulham thanks to a Yann Kermorgant penalty in the other Semi-Final second-leg. 

And so all eyes turned to Wembley.

The Terriers took the game to Japp Stam’s side in the early exchanges and probably should have taken the lead in the opening ten minutes, a whipped free-kick from Aaron Mooy was headed narrowly wide by defender Michael Hefele. 

Izzy Brown missed the best chance of the game for the West Yorkshire outfit, rounding off a first-half of frustration at Wembley for both sides. 
Reading’s Chris Gunter arguably should have done better from close range in the second period, heading Garath McCleary’s floated ball to the back-post narrowly over the crossbar.
The screw started to turn as both teams trudged into extra-time, with McCleary being the best outlet for Stam’s side, however he could only direct his left-footed effort wide of Danny Ward’s post. 
One final chance presented itself to Huddersfield, as a free-kick agonisingly taunted the advancing Martin Craine, but it was quickly followed by the referee’s final whistle, forcing the game into the lottery that is penalties. 
After a Hefele miss and a confidently struck spot-kick from Liam Kelly, the Royals were 3-1 up and heading back to the Premier League for the first time since 2013. 
However, misses from Liam Moore and Jordan Obita turned the shootout on its head, leaving Christopher Schindler to step up and send Wagner’s men to the promised land. It would be Huddersfield’s first time in the top-flight for 45 years.

Advertisement block