Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Exeter and Northampton Town to face off in the 2019/20 League Two Play-Off Final

22 June 2020

This year’s Sky Bet League Two Play-Off Final will see Exeter City take on Northampton Town at Wembley Stadium on Monday 29 June 2020.

After suffering a narrow defeat to Colchester United in the first leg, the Grecians secured their place at Wembley with a 3-1 victory over the U's on Monday night. 

Knowing that home advantage could be a factor for Matt Taylor’s side, Exeter came out in emphatic fashion, netting the first goal of the night on the ninth minute.

The visitors failed to clear a Randell Williams free-kick which eventually broke to defender Aaron Martin, who fired home just inside the U’s penalty area.

Goalkeeper Dean Gerken kept Colchester in the game just before the break as he saved a direct free-kick from Randell, but soon after his mistake cost the U's an important goal as Exeter doubled their lead. 

After Ryan Bowman’s header for the home side crashed against the post, the ball made its way to Jayden Richardson who looked to extend the home side’s advantage. His shot went straight at Gerken, but somehow found a way underneath the much-praised Colchester stopper. 

Colchester refused to be beaten however, and with 12 minutes of the game remaining scored a vital goal which would take the fixture to extra-time. A clipped ball to the far post was punched away by Johnathan Maxted, only to fall to Courtney Senior who calmly fired home.

Determined to return to Wembley for the third time in four seasons, Matt Taylor's side found the winner. 

Catching the U's on the break, a defence splitting pass found top scorer Ryan Bowman who raced through on goal and picked his spot perfectly in the bottom-right corner of Gerken’s goal to send the Grecians back to the home of football.


After winning the first leg of their Semi-Final fixture by two-goals-to-nil, Cheltenham Town went into their game against Northampton Town on Monday night in positive fashion, knowing that it would take something special for the Cobblers to come back into the affair.

And that's exactly what happened. The game's first goal came in the ninth minute, as a ball from Nicky Adams found the head of the advancing Vadaine Olive, who nestled his header into the bottom-right corner of the Robins' goal.

With two goals still needed to find the win, Keith Curle ensured his team had his words firmly ringing in their ears after the half-time interval, and with that a stunning second-half performance took place, 20-year-old Callum Morton taking the headlines. 

A brace from the midfielder made sure that Northampton were heading to Wembley next Monday, with a header to level the scores on aggregate up on 56 minutes and then capitalising on a poor defensive play from the Robins with 14 minutes of the affair remaining.

A stunning performance from the Cobblers. 

FT 22.06.55.png

Advertisement block