The EFL can confirm that it has been formally notified that administrators have been appointed in respect of Bolton Wanderers Football Club.
As a result, the Club is now subject to a 12 point deduction and, in accordance with EFL Regulations, the sporting sanction will take effect next season in League One.
The EFL will now commence discussions with the Administrators with the aim of achieving a long-term future for the Club.
As per EFL Regulation 12.3.1, any Club subject to an Insolvency Event shall be deducted 12 points.
The terms of the points deduction and when it will apply are detailed in Regulations 12.3.3b and 12.3.4 below.
Subject to the provisions of Regulation 12.3.4 below, where the Club becomes subject to or suffers an Insolvency Event, or the Board impose a deduction in accordance with Regulation 12.3.2:
- a) during the Normal Playing Season but prior to 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, the points deduction shall apply immediately;
- b) during the Normal Playing Season but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, Regulation 12.3.4 shall apply; and
- c) outside the Normal Playing Season, the points deduction shall apply in respect of the following Season such that the Club starts that Season on minus 12 points (including in the National League if appropriate).
Where the circumstances set out in Regulation 12.3.3(b) apply and at the end of that Season, having regard to the number of championship points awarded (ignoring any potential deduction):
- a) the Club would be relegated in accordance with Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.7, the points deduction will apply in the next following Season (including in the National League if appropriate); or
- b) the Club would not be relegated as aforesaid, the points deduction will apply in that Season and Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.7 will then apply (if appropriate) following imposition of the points deduction.
EFL Regulations are available via the EFL website: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/