Skip to main content Skip to site footer

EFL matchday review: 15-17 Feb

18 February 2019

It was another weekend of twists and turns across the EFL, here's our review of all the action...

Teemu Pukki scored twice as Norwich City moved back to the top of the Sky Bet Championship with a comfortable 4-0 win at Bolton Wanderers. The Finland international's brace moved him onto 23 league goals for the season as the Canaries leapfrogged Leeds United, who did not play this weekend. 

Sheffield United also moved up into the automatic promotion places after they won 4-0 at home to Reading. The Blades got the result, despite being without top scorer Billy Sharp and strike partner David McGoldrick. 

Elsewhere in Yorkshire, Dominic Iorfa scored a dramatic 100th-minute equaliser on debut to earn Sheffield Wednesday a 2-2 draw at Rotherham United.

In the West Midlands derby, West Bromwich Albion were comfortable winners as two goals in four late first-half minutes saw them beat Aston Villa.

Will Keane grabbed a late equaliser as Ipswich Town denied Stoke City a first win in five matches, and Preston North End stretched their unbeaten run to seven games with a goalless draw against Nottingham Forest.

In the final game of the weekend, Middlesbrough picked up an important three points against 10-man Blackburn Rovers, courtesy of Britt Assombalonga.

League One leaders Luton Town made it 20 EFL games unbeaten with a 2-1 victory at Fleetwood. It is the first time in the Hatters’ history that they have achieved the feat.

Meanwhile, Barnsley strengthened their grip on second spot in League One as Cauley Woodrow scored both goals in a 2-1 home win against Wycombe Wanderers. 

A hat-trick from Simon Cox saw Southend United hit back from 3-0 down to draw with League One promotion chasers Portsmouth at Roots Hall. The visitors were three goals up within 31 minutes, but Cox’s third goal three minutes from time earned the home side a point.

Amadou Bakayoko and Jordy Hiwula scored against their former club to hand Coventry a 3-0 win over Walsall.

Mark Byrne grabbed the decisive goal as Gillingham beat Scunthorpe United 1-0 to climb out of the relegation zone.

Ivan Toney struck his 19th goal of the season as Peterborough United snatched a 1-0 victory at Oxford United.

Shrewsbury Town remain in the drop zone after a 1-1 draw at home to mid-table Burton Albion.

Finally, Charlton Athletic failed to win for the fourth game in a row as they were held to a 0-0 draw at the Valley against Blackpool, with Bradford City and Plymouth Argyle's game also ending goalless.

Sky Bet League Two leaders Lincoln City were pegged back by two late goals from Ilias Chair as they were forced to settle for a draw with Stevenage.

The Imps looked set to extend their lead at the top of the table to four points thanks to two goals from Bruno Andrade. However, they were denied by a brace from the Queens Park Rangers loanee Chair.

It came after Mansfield Town had also faltered in the early kick-off, as Notts County reignited their survival hopes with a battling 1-0 home victory. Former Peterborough striker Craig Mackail-Smith scored his first goal since October with a fabulous effort.

That result saw Bury move up to second as they made it 11 matches unbeaten in all competitions with a 1-0 win at Exeter City.

MK Dons came out on top in a five goal thriller at Carlisle United, in a 3-2 win at Brunton Park.

Paul Scholes maintained his unbeaten record in management but had to settle for a point as Oldham Athletic conceded an injury-time equaliser to draw 1-1 at home to Crewe Alexandra. 

At the bottom, Yeovil Town fell to a sixth defeat on the spin as Forest Green Rovers beat them 3-0, and Macclesfield Town picked up a point in their battle for survival as they held Colchester United to a 1-1 draw. 

Aaron Collins scored on his Morecambe debut as he scored the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win at Port Vale.

Wes Thomas' first-half penalty saw off Cheltenham Town 1-0, as Grimsby Town earned their fourth league win in a row.

Lastly, Cambridge United drew 0-0 at home to Tranmere Rovers, with Northampton Town and Crawley Town also ending goalless.

Advertisement block