Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Carabao Cup

Carabao Cup Round Two review

28 August 2019

As Premier League sides entered the competition, Round Two did not disappoint with first goals and penalty shootouts and shocks across the country.

West Ham United avoided an upset in front of the Sky cameras, beating Newport County 2-0 at Rodney Parade as Jack Wilshire scored not only is first West Ham goal, but his first goal in the competition since 2008, when he was just 16 years old playing for Arsenal. 
Liam Boyce became the first ever Burton Albion player to score a hat-trick in the League Cup, as they beat League Two side Morecambe 4-0, while Michael Obafemi’s goal for Southampton made him the youngest player to score for the club in the competition since Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in 2010. The Saint’s overcame Fulham at Craven Cottage. 
It was a good night for Paul Tisdale and MK Dons as they put four past Southend United, meaning Paul Tisdale has reached Round Three of the cup for the first time ever in his managerial career, despite this being his 12th season in management. 
It was an evening to remember for League Two clubs in the southern section as both Crawley Town and Colchester United provided shocks against Premier League opposition. Crawley overcame Premier League newcomers Norwich City 1-0, while Colchester held their nerve and beat Crystal Palace on penalties. 
In a highly anticipated East Midlands derby, Nottingham Forest put three past Derby County to record their biggest derby win since 2010. 
The action continued on Wednesday night as Lincoln City brought out the best in Premier League Everton. The Imps were ahead after just 21 seconds, before a stunning free-kick from Lucas Digne levelled things up - the Toffees eventually proving too strong for the League One side, winning 4-2 to advance to Round Three. 
Two goals in three minutes for Sunderland saw them come from behind to beat Premier League Burnley at Turf Moor and Steve Cooper continued his excellent start at Swansea City as the Welsh side put six past Cambridge United. 
Elsewhere, Sheffield Wednesday needed a 97th minute winner to get past South Yorkshire neighbours Rotherham United, Forest Green Rovers fought off Premier League opposition for 90 minutes before eventually losing on penalties to Eddie Howe’s side, with Newcastle United and Portsmouth also making it through to the next round. 
The rest of there Round Two results can be found below:
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 00.19.15.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 00.23.23.png
For confirmation of the Round Three draw, click here.

Advertisement block