Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Review: EFL Matchday 12

6 October 2018

It was another enthralling day of action across the EFL. Here's our recap of a busy Saturday afternoon...

Sheffield United and West Bromwich Albion capitalised on their promotion rivals dropping points, as both secured victories to strengthen their position in the Championship table.

Sheffield United pounced on Leeds United's 1-1 draw in the early kick-off against Brentford to sit atop of the standings, with a David McGoldrick penalty the difference between the Blades and Hull City at Bramall Lane.

West Brom continued their fine scoring run of late, recovering from an early setback against Reading to hit four goals. Dwight Gayle, fresh from his award as the Championship Player of the Month, scored twice, whilst Harvey Barnes and Kyle Bartley were also on target.

Middlesbrough suffered a surprising defeat against Nottingham Forest at the Riverside Stadium, as Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban lifted the Reds into the Play-Off places.

At the opposite end of the table, both Birmingham City and Preston North End picked up a valuable three points. Lukas Jutkiewicz took home the matchball with a fantastic hat-trick against Rotherham United at St. Andrews, and equally impressive, Preston found the goal trail at Deepdale against Wigan Athletic, scoring four times.

Elsewhere, Ipswich Town and Paul Hurst secured their first win of the season after an 84th minute Trevoh Chalobah strike earned the away side victory against Swansea City.


No change at the top of the standings in League One, as both Portsmouth and Peterborough United suffered defeat on Matchday 12.

A 'result of the day' contender, Barnsley produced a fantastic performance to see off Steve Evans' Posh. George Moncur scored against his former side to open the scoring, before Brad Potts struck twice from outside of the box. Jacob Brown completed the rout in added time to secure an emphatic three points.

League leaders Portsmouth were unable to capitalise on Peterborough's dropped points, and in the process lost the only unbeaten record left in League One. In difficult conditions at a wet Fratton Park, Gillingham scored twice without reply.

Another standout result came via Joey Barton's Fleetwood Town. Despite never having won at the Keepmoat Stadium in the EFL, the Cod Army were impressive throughout, dispatching Doncaster Rovers by four goals to nil, including three in the first-half.

Coventry City and Amadou Bakayoko produced a stirring comeback at the Valley to overcome Charlton Athletic. Behind after a Lyle Taylor penalty, the substitute made the required impact to score twice in the final ten minutes, whilst Blackpool stretched their unbeaten run to thirteen games after a 2-2 draw against Rochdale.


Lincoln City extended their lead at the top of the League Two standings after a narrow 1-0 victory against Crewe Alexandra at Sincil Bank. With the game finely poised, substitute Tom Pett scored with his very first touch to secure the three points.

With goals aplenty across the division, seven were scored at the Globe Arena. Morecambe had only scored three times at home prior to today, and despite doubling that total, it was Tranmere Rovers who ran out eventual winners in a classic - Harvey Gilmour scored the decisive goal in the 89th minute.

MK Dons continued their charge towards the automatic promotion places with a resounding 3-0 victory against Cheltenham Town, whilst Yeovil Town and Exeter City shared the points at Huish Park.

Elsewhere, Crawley Town rose to 9th after victory against Cambridge United, Forest Green maintained their unbeaten record with a 1-1 draw against Newport County, and Carlisle United leapfrogged Oldham Athletic after a 3-1 win.


Advertisement block