Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Round Three: Review

17 January 2018

Oxford United booked their place in Round Four of the Checkatrade Trophy, keeping their hopes alive of reaching the Final for the third season in a row.

Pep Clotet’s men drew with Charlton Athletic at the Valley after Wes Thomas scored a second-half equaliser, and they went on to overcome the Addicks via a penalty shoot-out.

That method also brought victory for Peterborough United, who won 7-6 on penalties after a goalless draw away at League Two leaders Luton Town.

Jordy Hiwula scored twice in Tuesday's early kick-off, helping Fleetwood Town to progress with a 3-2 win over Bury, while Yeovil Town recorded a straightforward 2-0 triumph over Forest Green Rovers.

There was late drama in two of the night’s other games. At Rochdale, Ollie Palmer netted his third goal of the competition to fire Lincoln City to a last-gasp victory, while Chelsea U21 conceded a stoppage-time equaliser against Portsmouth, only for Charly Musonda to net his second of the game moments later to send the Blues through.

On Wednesday night, Shrewsbury Town and Blackpool played out a goalless draw at the New Meadow, and it was the hosts that prevailed 4-2 on penalties.

Seven days later, the rearranged tie between Oldham Athletic and Leicester City U21 took place, and it was the Latics who prevailed in a six-goal thriller at Boundary Park. Craig Davies scored twice for the League One outfit, who booked a Quarter-Final trip to Shrewsbury.

DRAW: Confirmed Checkatrade Trophy Quarter-Final ties

Checkatrade Trophy: Round Three results


Bury 2-3 Fleetwood Town
Oldham Athletic 4-2 Leicester City U21
Rochdale 0-1 Lincoln City
Shrewsbury Town 0-0 Blackpool (Shrewsbury Town win 4-2 on penalties)


Charlton Athletic 1-1 Oxford United (Oxford win 3-0 on penalties)
Luton Town 0-0 Peterborough United (Peterborough win 7-6 on penalties)
Portsmouth 1-2 Chelsea U21
Yeovil Town 2-0 Forest Green Rovers

Advertisement block