Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Round-up: EFL Matchday 17

12 November 2017

A reduced EFL schedule, but still plenty of action across two divisions on Matchday 17. Here's the review...

Plymouth Argyle climbed off the bottom of Sky Bet League One with an excellent 1-0 victory at Bradford City, with Jake Jervis and Remi Matthews the heroes for Derek Adams’ men.

Jervis grabbed the game’s only goal in the first half, before Matthews preserved all three points with a fine penalty save to deny Tony McMahon after the break.

A thrilling second half at Bloomfield Road saw hosts Blackpool peg back Portsmouth twice, but Brett Pitman’s second goal of the game earned Pompey a 3-2 victory.

Another side not to be denied were Northampton Town, who saw their lead against Oxford United cut out for just 105 seconds — Chris Long scoring what proved to be the winner at the Kassam Stadium, as the Cobblers climbed out of the relegation zone.

Chuks Aneke grabbed the winner for Milton Keynes Dons at home to Fleetwood Town, and that was the scoreline at Glanford Park where Neal Bishop struck late on, handing Scunthorpe United victory at home to Bristol Rovers.

Spoils were shared in the South Yorkshire derby on Saturday lunchtime, Kieffer Moore grabbing a late equaliser to rescue a point for Rotherham United at Doncaster Rovers, and Gillingham’s Josh Parker did the same at the Priestfield, cancelling out Neil Danns’ goal in a 1-1 draw with Bury.

On Sunday, AFC Wimbledon and Peterborough United played out a 2-2 draw at Kingmeadow. All the goals were scored in the opening period, with Lyle Taylor and Cody McDonald on target for the hosts, while Danny Lloyd and Marcus Maddison found the net for Grant McCann's men.


Exeter City were the only side in Sky Bet League Two’s top seven to pick up maximum points on Matchday 17.

Jayden Stockley and Liam McAlinden grabbed the goals against Grimsby Town which took the Grecians up to third in the standings.

Luton Town were set to go top, leading Cheltenham Town 2-1 deep into stoppage time, but Robins’ goalkeeper Scott Flinders flicked on a corner for Will Boyle to salvage a point for the hosts.

Notts County remained at the summit after Elliott Hewitt’s second-half equaliser at Stevenage, and Accrington Stanley are still sitting in second after a goalless stalemate at Cambridge United.

There were also draws in the Friday fixture between Newport County and Port Vale, and Crawley’s home encounter with Forest Green Rovers, both finishing one goal apiece.

It was 2-2 between Swindon Town and Chesterfield, with Luke Norris denying the Spireites after netting a last-minute penalty at the County Ground.

Carlisle United were the afternoon’s biggest winners, with captain Danny Grainger scoring twice in a 4-0 win over Yeovil Town. Lincoln City registered their biggest EFL away win since March 2009 with a 4-1 win at Crewe Alexandra — Harry Anderson helping himself to a brace.

First-half goals from Steve Old and Adam McGurk proved enough to beat Wycombe Wanderers, while there were 1-0 wins on the road for Mansfield Town and Southend United.

Alex MacDonald struck the Stags’ winner at Coventry City, while Sammie Szmodics was the goalscoring hero for the U’s on their trip to struggling Barnet.

Advertisement block