Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 2 round-up

2 May 2015

Bury secured promotion while Burton Albion wrapped up the championship on the final day of the Sky Bet League 2 season.

Shrewsbury Town's 2-0 defeat to Plymouth Argyle handed the title to the Brewers, who did their bit by coming from 2-1 down with 10 men to beat Cambridge United 3-2.

And it will be Bury who join the pair in Sky Bet League 1 next season after they prevailed in the final-day battle between themselves, Southend United and Wycombe Wanderers to earn the third promotion spot.

Tom Soares' goal secured the Shakers a 1-0 win away at already-relegated Tranmere Rovers as David Flitcroft's men pipped Southend, who started the day in third but lost 3-1 at Morecambe.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's men took the lead in their game through Stuart Beavon's 11th-minute strike but Cambridge responded 14 minutes later through Tom Elliott.

After Albion goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin was sent off for bringing down Harrison Dunk, Robbie Simpson scored from the spot, but Phil Edwards levelled 13 minutes from time and Kevin Stewart struck in the 88th minute to secure the title.

First-half goals from Bobby Reid and Kelvin Mellor ended Shrewsbury's challenge, as Plymouth made sure of the final Play-Off spot.

Phil Brown's Southend had won their last seven games but fell when it mattered and now play Stevenage in the Play-Off Semi-Finals.

Jack Payne cancelled out Jack Redshaw's opener but Aaron Wildig and Jamie Devitt both struck for Morecambe in the second half.

Wycombe did their bit with a dramatic 3-2 win at Northampton Town but it was only enough for them to finish fourth.

The Chairboys raced into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Aaron Holloway and Nico Yennaris but Northampton hit back through a Sam Wood own goal and a Ryan Cresswell strike.

Alfie Mawson fired in the winner from the penalty spot seven minutes into stoppage time, leaving Gareth Ainsworth's men a date with Plymouth in the Play-Offs.

Luton Town needed Plymouth to lose - with an eight-goal swing - to finish in the top seven and that scenario never looked likely but the Hatters did secure themselves a season-ending victory by beating Stevenage 2-0.

Relegated Cheltenham Town waved goodbye to the Football League with a 1-1 draw at AFC Wimbledon while Hartlepool United came from 3-0 down at half-time to draw 3-3 at Carlisle United.

Jimmy Dack's final game as Newport County boss before Terry Butcher takes charge ended in a 1-0 loss to Oxford United, while Exeter City beat Dagenham & Redbridge 2-1.

Accrington Stanley were also 2-1 winners, seeing off Mansfield Town, and Portsmouth versus York City ended 1-1.

Advertisement block