Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 2 round-up

28 March 2015

Shrewsbury Town closed the gap on leaders Burton Albion to two points as Bobby Grant's double secured them a 2-0 win at Portsmouth.

Burton face Stevenage at home on Monday and the Shrews took advantage to make up ground with a third-straight win thanks to midfielder Grant, who struck in the 25th and 66th minutes.

Wycombe Wanderers kept pace at the top with a 1-0 victory at Dagenham & Redbridge, where Aaron Pierre's close-range effort kept the Chairboys level on points with Shrewsbury.

Neither Bury or Southend United, fourth and fifth overnight respectively, were able to close the gap on the automatic promotion places as their clash was abandoned in the sixth minute after torrential downpours had left the pitch unplayable.

James Gray's late goal kept Northampton Town in the Play-Off hunt as they clinched a 2-1 home win against Luton Town.

Ricky Holmes converted a 66th-minute penalty to haul the hosts level at Sixfields after Alex Lawless had fired the Hatters into the lead early in the second half.

Reuben Reid fired a double to help lift Plymouth Argyle into the Play-Off places following a 3-0 win at Cheltenham Town. The front man struck in the 34th and 60th minutes and Zak Ansah made sure for the visitors with his 86th-minute header.

Aaron McGowan fired Morecambe into a 17th-minute lead at Exeter City, but substitute Alex Nicholls struck back as the home side earned a 1-1 draw. Grecians striker Tom Nichols was sent off in stoppage time.

Hartlepool United climbed out of the bottom two with their fourth-straight victory. Brad Walker headed them into a 20th-minute lead against Cambridge at Victoria Park and, although Matt Harrold equalised, Scott Harrison crashed home his first goal of the season to clinch a 2-1 win.

Shaq Coulthirst, on loan from Tottenham, fired his first goals for relegation battlers York City as Russ Wilcox's 10 men clinched their first win in four games with a 4-1 success at Mansfield Town.

Keith Lowe headed York in front, Coulthirst added a second in the 17th minute, Jake Hyde headed a third and Coulthirst grabbed his second in the closing stages.

York goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik had been sent off for handling outside his area in the 32nd minute, while Matt Rhead struck a consolation for the Stags.

Carlisle midfielder Paul Corry struck his first goal for the club in their relegation battle at Oxford United, but the home side hit back to win 2-1.

Patrick Hoban headed Oxford level before half-time and, after Carlisle defender Troy Archibald-Henville had been dismissed for two yellow-card offences in the 68th minute, Kyle Vassell scored the winner with 10 minutes left on the clock.  

Adebayo Akinfenwa hit his 15th goal of the season to give AFC Wimbledon a 29th-minute lead at Tranmere Rovers, but George Green's last-gasp equaliser grabbed the home side a point that was enough to lift them off the foot of the table.

Advertisement block