Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 2 round-up

17 March 2015

Shrewsbury Town reignited their promotion charge with a convincing 4-1 victory over 10 man Morecambe to cut the gap at the top of the Sky Bet League 2 table to just two points.

The Shrews fell behind to an excellent Jack Redshaw strike only to hit back with two goals in a minute. Connor Goldson and then James Collins netted before goalkeeper Andreas  Arestidou's straight red.

A solo goal from Jermaine Grandison and then substitute Tyrone Barnett's effort sealed the points.

Alfie Mawson's deflected goal saved a point for Wycombe Wanderers as their push for promotion took a slight knock after a 2-2 draw against Accrington Stanley.

The Chairboys had the chance to go top of League 2 for at least 24 hours with victory and looked on course when Sam Wood headed home.

Terry Gornell and then Piero Mingoia put Stanley ahead before Mawson's leveller.

Bury cemented third spot thanks to Tom Soares' winner at struggling York City.

In contrast, Plymouth Argyle slipped out of the top seven with a 2-0 defeat at Dagenham and Redbridge. Abu Ogogo smashed the ball into an empty net to break the deadlock before evergreen striker Jamie Cureton sealed the points late on.

Northampton Town's own Play-Off push stuttered at Sixfields where second half goals from Jason Kennedy and Kyle Dempsey earned Carlisle United a 2-0 victory.

At the foot of the table, Cheltenham Town returned to the relegation zone despite a spirited 2-2 draw with Portsmouth.

Eliot Richards and Will Packwood's first-half goals gave the Robins hope of a first away win since January but strikers Matt Tubbs and Ryan Taylor earned Pompey a point.

Rock-bottom Hartlepool United chalked up a second successive away win to give their survival hopes a massive boost.

Ryan Bird and Neil Austin brought them a 2-0 victory against an Oxford United side that had conceded only one goal in their previous five games.

Tranmere Rovers ended their run of five successive defeats with a 2-1 win at Cambridge United despite ending with 10 men.

Max Power gave Micky Adams' side the lead only for Sullay Kaikai to equalise after a jinking run. Danny Gardner struck the winner before visiting captain Steve Jennings was shown a second yellow.

A thrilling second half saw Rakish Bingham steal three precious points to move Mansfield Town nearer safety as they saw off AFC Wimbledon 2-1.

Elsewhere, Play-Off chasers Exeter City and Stevenage played out a largely uninspiring goalless draw.

Advertisement block