Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 2 round-up

10 February 2015

Shrewsbury Town moved to the top of the Sky Bet League 2 table after an injury-time double gave them a 2-1 victory at Carlisle United.

Charlie Wyke's goal looked like it would bring the Cumbrians a fourth win from the last five matches but Mickey Demetriou headed an equaliser in the 93rd minute before James Collins struck a minute later to send the Shrews to the summit.

Mickey Mellon's men leapfrogged Wycombe Wanderers and Burton Albion, replacing the latter at the top after the Brewers could only draw 0-0 at home with AFC Wimbledon.

Albion played against 10 men for much of the second half after Dons defender Mark Phillips was shown a straight red card in the 65th minute for appearing to stamp on home forward Stuart Beavon, but they could not make the breakthrough and record a seventh successive home league win.

Wycombe were beaten at home in the league for the first time since mid-November as first-half goals from Lewis Alessandra and Peter Hartley saw Plymouth Argyle climb into the Play-Off places with a 2-0 win.

Victory by the same scoreline saw Southend United narrow the gap on the teams in the automatic promotion positions to two points as Joe Pigott's double downed Cheltenham Town, who are now just a single point above the relegation zone.

York City remain in the bottom two after drawing 2-2 at Luton Town. The Minstermen looked like climbing out of the drop zone after goals from Josh Carson and Emile Sinclair put them firmly in control at Kenilworth Road, but Jake Hyde's 61st-minute red card changed the game.

Substitute Mark Cullen took just 10 minutes to bring Luton level, although the hosts also finished the game with 10 men after Steve McNulty was sent off.

Hartlepool United stay rooted to the foot of the table but are now just six points from safety after Marvin Morgan's second-half strike gave them a 1-0 home win over Northampton Town.

Rory Donnelly's goal earned Tranmere Rovers a good point in their survival battle as Micky Adams' men drew 1-1 at Play-Off contenders Newport County, who needed an 83rd-minute equaliser from Mark Byrne.

David Wheeler headed an 88th-minute leveller for Exeter City as the Grecians came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Cambridge United. Robbie Simpson's strike and a Craig Woodman own goal had the U's in front but Tom Nichols halved the deficit before Wheeler salvaged a point.

Accrington Stanley overcame Oxford United 1-0 thanks to Terry Gornell's injury-time winner while Morecambe beat Mansfield Town 2-1. All the goals came in the first half at the Globe Arena, with Paul Mullin and Kevin Ellison putting the hosts ahead before Simon Heslop struck for the Stags.

Elsewhere, Dagenham and Redbridge drew 0-0 at home with Portsmouth and it was goalless between Stevenage and Bury.

Advertisement block