Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Final Third Development League digest

5 February 2015

Hull City, Cambridge United and Gillingham all produced high-scoring wins in the Final Third Development League this week.

Final Third Development League Cup – South Group A

Cambridge United claimed their first Final Third Development League Cup victory of the season after a convincing 4-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion.

Rory Gaffney got the ball rolling for the U's inside five minutes when he latched onto a Jordan Chiedozie cross, but Albion were soon level when Robin Deen slid the ball past U’s keeper Will Norris.

Cambridge started the second half brightly and were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute when Luke Chadwick was brought down inside the box. Robbie Simpson converted the spot-kick, before Chiedozie wrapped up the points with two tidy finishes in a matter of minutes.

Final Third Development League - East Division

Hull City romped to an 8-0 win over Mansfield Town to take charge of the Final Third Development League East Division on Saturday.

Goals from Matty Dixon, Max Clark and two from Jonathon Margetts saw the Tigers into a comfortable lead heading into the break. Margetts then completed his hat-trick on the hour mark, and Johan Ter Horst added a sixth soon after.

The Tigers smelt blood in the final five minutes and punished the tiring Stags by netting two more, through a Greg Luer penalty and a second from Ter Horst.

Final Third Development League - West Division

Wigan Athletic returned to the summit of the Final Third Development League West Division after a narrow 1-0 triumph over Tranmere Rovers.

The Latics peppered the Rovers' goal for over an hour to no avail, but they broke the deadlock with 25 minutes to play courtesy of a Ryan Jennings screamer.

Final Third Development League - South Division

Gillingham lifted themselves off the bottom of the Final Third Development League South Division with a rousing 6-1 win against Leyton Orient.

The Gills were quick off the mark in the first half, striking three times in the opening 20 minutes through Brennan Dickenson, Luke Norris and Devante McKain.

Orient grabbed a lifeline shortly after the break, but Norris scored his second goal of the game to put the home side out of sight.

Charlie Webster and Mahlon Romeo inflicted further misery on the O's to round off a dominant Gills performance.

Elsewhere, Portsmouth and Bournemouth shared the spoils in a tight encounter at Furze Lane on Tuesday.

Elliott Ward put the visitors ahead mid-way through the first half after a crisp half-volley from the edge of the area, but Nigel Atangana earned Pompey a point when he rifled home from close range just minutes before the break to make it 1-1.

To keep up-to-date with the latest news from the Final Third Development League, follow @FinalThirdDevLg on Twitter and join in the conversation using #FTDL hashtag.​

Advertisement block