Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 2 round-up

3 April 2015

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's Burton Albion saw their lead at the top of Sky Bet League 2 cut to a point after they were pegged back 1-1 by Play-Off hopefuls Plymouth Argyle.

Kevin Stewart fired Albion ahead after 33 minutes when his long-range shot took a deflection and looped over Argyle keeper Luke McCormick and into the net.

But Carl McHugh headed in Bobby Reid's cross to snatch a point for Argyle with four minutes remaining.

Two goals from Connor Goldson ensured Shrewsbury Town moved to within touching distance of the leaders.

The 22-year-old centre-half struck twice in the first half from Liam Lawrence crosses to sink Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0.

Third-placed Wycombe Wanderers lost ground on the top two after a surprise 3-2 home defeat by Oxford United.

Danny Rose set up two goals for Kemar Roofe and hit the other himself while Paul Hayes and Aaron Holloway were on target for Wanderers.

That defeat allowed Bury to close the gap on the automatic promotion places to four points, with a game in hand, after beating Cambridge United 2-0 thanks to goals in either half from Nathan Cameron and Tom Soares.

Barry Corr and Will Atkinson were on target as Southend United cemented their place in the Play-Offs, and kept their slim automatic promotion hopes alive, with a 2-0 win over Mansfield.

Luton Town's promotion hopes are in tatters, however, after they blew a two-goal lead to slip to a seventh straight defeat,  3-2 at home to Exeter City.

Down at the bottom Hartlepool United's great escape under Ronnie Moore suffered a slight blip as they let a two-goal advantage slip to draw 2-2 with Newport County.

They went ahead when Lee Minshull headed Michael Duckworth's cross into his own net and Jordan Hugill flicked in the second after Jonathan Franks's shot came back off the crossbar.

But Darren Jones pulled one back moments before half-time and Aaron O'Connor's strong run and finish hauled Newport level.

Pools are still a point above the drop zone, however, after Tranmere Rovers were held 2-2 at Stevenage after  Charlie Lee's leveller with 12 minutes remaining.

Rock-bottom Cheltenham Town are three points from safety after Dave Winfield condemned them to a 1-0 defeat at York City in Gary Johnson's first game in charge.

Charlie Wyke's goal four minutes into stoppage time secured a 2-2 draw for Carlisle United against Portsmouth, Northampton Town drew 2-2 at AFC Wimbledon and Morecambe were held 1-1 by Accrington Stanley.

Advertisement block