Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Final Third Development League digest

16 April 2015

This week saw Port Vale take the West Division title following an emphatic victory.

Final Third Development League - West Division

Port Vale had the chance to lift the West Division crown on Wednesday afternoon when they hosted Shrewsbury Town at Vale Park, knowing that a win would be enough to top the table.

The Valiants went into the match three points behind Wigan Athletic but with a greater goal difference, and they were in no mood to mess around, racing into a comfortable first-half lead with goals from Ryan Lloyd, Jonathon Kapend and Chekaine Steele.

Lloyd doubled his tally in the second period, before a fine strike from Lewis Bergin completed the rout, to ensure the title went to Vale.

Final Third Development League – East Division

Doncaster Rovers kept the pressure on towards the top of the East Division thanks to a 2-0 triumph against Mansfield Town.

After a goalless first 45 minutes, the second half came to life courtesy of Jack McKay. The Scottish striker scored twice to hand Rovers the three points, moving them within two points of league leaders Hull City.

Elsewhere, Scunthorpe United came from behind to beat Rotherham United. The Millers led through Jerry Yates but Jonathon Margetts grabbed two second-half goals to seal the points.

Final Third Development League - South Division

AFC Bournemouth cruised past Leyton Orient on Thursday afternoon, winning 5-2.

Freddy Moncur put the O's in front, but Tokelo Rantie turned the game around with a brace, before Eunan O'Kane, Ian Harte and Jayden Stockley extended the advantage. The London side got a late consolation through Scott Kashket.

The other game in the South Division this week resulted in a 3-1 win for Gillingham away at AFC Wimbledon.

Dan Agyei handed the Dons the lead, but two Aiden Blanchard penalties and a Michael Freiter goal clinched it for the Gills.

Final Third Development Cup – Southern Group A

Gillingham's second game of the week wasn't so successful, as Cambridge United romped to victory in Kent.

Ayrton Bevin's cross forced an own goal to hand the U's the lead, and Ryan Horne extended their advantage.

The game was made safe in the final seven minutes when Jordan Brown converted another Bevins cross, and Dylan Williams struck to complete a 4-0 win, which sent Cambridge into the last four of the competition.

To keep up-to-date with the latest news from the Final Third Development League, follow @FinalThirdDevLg on Twitter and join in the conversation using #FTDL hashtag.

Advertisement block