Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Easter Monday Sky Bet League 2 round-up

6 April 2015

Adam McGurk's second-half strike saw Burton Albion beat fellow promotion contenders Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 to return to the summit of the Sky Bet League 2 table.

Shrewsbury Town had earlier climbed to the top of the pile after beating Mansfield 1-0 through Tyrone Barnett's 50th-minute strike in one of two early kick-offs.

But Burton swiftly reclaimed their position  thanks to McGurk's superb left-footed finish from the edge of the area in the 55th-minute.

In the day's other 1pm kick-off, goals from David Wheeler and Ryan Harley handed Exeter City a 2-0 victory over 10-man Newport County.

The deadlock was broken after 77 minutes when Wheeler ran onto Clinton Morrison's perfectly-weighted through ball and while Exiles goalkeeper Joe Day got a touch, the ball trickled over the line and into the net.

With just minutes remaining, Wheeler was brought down by Ismail Yakubu, who was sent off, and Harley sent Day the wrong way from the penalty spot to clinch the win.

There was no change at the foot of the table, with the league's bottom four sides all losing.

Cheltenham Town remain bottom after a 1-0 defeat to Stevenage, who now sit sixth in the league.

Tranmere Rovers still occupy 23rd-place after their 1-0 defeat to Luton Town, who halted a run of seven straight defeats, while Hartlepool United remain one point clear of the drop after losing to Southend United by the same scoreline.

Goals from Piero Mingoia, Josh Windass and Seamus Conneely saw Accrington Stanley record a 3-1 victory over Carlisle United.

Harrison Dunk scored in the opening minute as Cambridge United gave their survival hopes a boost with a 1-0 win against Northampton Town, while Morecambe came from behind to beat fourth-placed Bury 2-1.

Veteran forward Jamie Cureton scored a hat-trick as Dagenham and Redbridge beat AFC Wimbledon 4-0, while Portsmouth recorded a 2-1 victory over Play-Off hopefuls  Plymouth Argyle.

Elsewhere, Oxford United and York City played out a goalless draw.

Advertisement block