Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Midweek comebacks in The Football League

17 September 2014

Tuesday night's Football League action featured some some thrilling comebacks and we've taken a closer look at a handful of them

Colchester United 2-3 Sheffield United

Sheffield United pulled off a breath-taking comeback at Colchester, who looked on their way to a second win of the season after goals from George Moncur and Freddie sears either side of half-time. It remained 2-0 to the hosts until the 83rd minute when Ben Davies struck for the Blades. Ryan Flynn pulled Nigel Clough's men level two minutes later before Davies netted an 88th-minute penalty to steal all three points.

Preston North End 3-3 Chesterfield

Chesterfield were another team to produce a storming comeback on the road after they stunned Preston at Deepdale to take a point. Alan Browne, Joe Garner and Josh Brownhill had the Lilywhites in command before the half-hour mark, only for Eoin Doyle to score his second hat-trick in as many matches to earn the Spireites what seemed an unlikely point.

AFC Bournemouth 1-3 Leeds United

Three second-half Leeds United goals inspired them to a 3-1 victory away to Bournemouth, despite the Whites having gone behind after just six minutes. Andrew Surman's curled strike saw the Cherries take an early lead, before goals from Souleymane Doukara, Guiseppe Bellusci and Mirco Antenucci handed Leeds a late, much-needed victory.

Cambridge United 1-2 Exeter City

Exeter bagged their first win of the season after coming from behind to beat Cambridge at the R Costings Abbey Stadium. Ryan Bird put the U's in front but Exeter showed character to produce a comeback, with Graham Cummins and Alex Nicholls scoring to give the Grecians a valuable triumph.

Bolton Wanderers 3-2 Rotherham United

Bolton and Rotherham served up a thriller at the Macron Stadium, in a match that saw the lead change several times before the home side eventually secured all three points. Anthony Wordsworth put Rotherham a goal up in the first half, before two Joe Mason strikes saw Bolton ahead by the 80th minute. The Millers hit back instantly through Jordan Bowery to make it 2-2, only for Mason to seal his hat-trick two minutes later, earning Wanderers their first win of the season.

Northampton Town 5-1 Hartlepool United

Perhaps the most emphatic comeback of the night was in Sky Bet League 2 as Northampton thrashed the visiting Hartlepool, who were in front after only a minute through Charlie Wyke. Marc Richards and Kaid Mohamed each scored twice, while Lawson D'Ath grabbed his second goal in as many games to see the Cobblers romp to a 5-1 victory.

Reading 3-2 Millwall

Reading's visit of Millwall saw a comeback within a comeback as the Royals snatched all three points in an enthralling encounter at the Madejski Stadium. Simon Cox and Nick Blackman had put the home side 2-0 up after just 15 minutes, before Ricardo Fuller and Mark Beevers hauled Millwall level. It was Reading who had the last word, though, with Cox's second of the night ensuring the home side moved into the Play-Off places.

Advertisement block