Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Round 1 review

23 September 2014

We take a look at the action in Round 1 of the 2014/15 Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Northern Section

Managerless Carlisle United claimed their first victory of the season as they beat Accrington Stanley 3-1 at the Crown Ground.

The Cumbrians, two-time winners of the competition, sacked Graham Kavanagh on Monday following their poor start to the season.

But after Marcus Carver had given Football League basement boys Stanley the lead, goals from Antony Sweeney, Kyle Dempsey and Billy Paynter eased the visitors - led by club captain Paul Thirlwell and goalkeeper coach Tony Caig - to a much-needed victory.

Sky Bet League 1 high-flyers Fleetwood Town were beaten 3-1 at home by Morecambe of Sky Bet League 2.

Gareth Evans had given the Cod Army the lead but Padraig Amond netted twice either side of Jack Redshaw's strike to send the visitors through.

Matt Done, who notched a hat-trick in Rochdale's 5-2 win over Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road in the League 1 last month, was on target again before Peter Vincenti and substitute Calvin Andrew wrapped up a 3-0 victory.

Second-half strikes from Devante Cole and substitute Kane Hemmings helped Barnsley overcome York City - still without a win this season - 2-0 at Oakwell while Jordan Bove came off the bench to grab a late winner for Oldham Athletic as they edged past Bradford City 1-0 at Boundary Park.

Jordan Hugill's strike just before the hour was enough to help Preston Northern End advance past Capital One Cup giant-killers Shrewsbury Town at Deepdale.

Ronan Murray and Jake Cassidy netted either side of the break as Notts County brushed aside Mansfield Town 2-0 at Meadow Lane and Scunthorpe United progressed by the same score as Sean McAllister and Gary McSheffrey scored in a 2-0 win over Chesterfield, who had Jack Broadhead sent off at Glanford Park.

Southern Section

Jonathan Obika was on target again as Swindon Town reached the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with a 2-1 win away at Newport County.

Obika's fifth goal in four games for the Robins set the visitors on their way before Andy Williams added a second.

Yan Klukowski's late strike made for a tense finish but Mark Cooper's side progressed to set up a meeting with Plymouth in the next round.

Holders Peterborough United were knocked out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the first hurdle following a 3-2 defeat to Leyton Orient at London Road.

Posh, who beat Chesterfield 3-1 in the Wembley showpiece in March, suffered more misery to Orient having lost to them in the Play-Offs last season.

Chris Dagnall bagged a brace either side of Marcus Maddison marking his first start for the home side with an equaliser.

Bradley Pritchard added a third for Orient, who finished the game with 10 men after Romain Vincelot was dismissed for a second booking. Posh debutant Luke James pulled one back in injury time but it was too late.

A second-half own goal by Richard Tait and a late strike from Charles Banya saw Crawley Town ensure Cambridge United's return to the competition was a brief one.

Jed Wallace bagged a brace as Portsmouth cruised to a 3-1 win over League 1 Yeovil Town at Huish Park. Craig Westcarr added a third only for Yeovil's Nathan Ralph to grab the goal of the night.

Luke Norris' first-half penalty sent 10-man Gillingham, who also had Gavin Hoyte sent off, through as they beat Stevenage 1-0 at the Lamex Stadium.

Josh McQuoid struck the only goal as Coventry City moved into the Second Round at the expense of Wycombe Wanderers, who hit the bar late on through Aaron Pierre.

John Marquis and Koby Arthur scored the goals to take Cheltenham Town through as they defeated Oxford United - for whom Jon Meades was sent off - 2-0 at Whaddon Road.

Matt Tubbs' shoot-out winner booked 10-man AFC Wimbledon a spot in the second round as they overcame Southend United 4-2 on penalties.

The Dons, who had Harry Pell dismissed, had twice pegged back their opponents with first Kevin Sainte-Luce and then Adam Barrett's goal two minutes from time cancelling out a double from Jack Payne.

Lee Barnard struck a post and James Shea saved from Ben Coker in the shoot-out before Tubbs' clincher.

Advertisement block