Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

John Still bemoans goal-shy Luton Town

6 September 2014

Luton Town manager John Still bemoaned his team's lack of goals after seeing them beaten 1-0 at home by Plymouth Argyle.

The Hatters, who have scored four league goals in their opening six games of the season, went down to their second home defeat of the season in Sky Bet League 2, thanks to Dominic Blizzard's second-half strike.

Still said: "Did we not have a cutting edge? I don't know. We had opportunities, we got shots off, the pace of our game was good.

"Second half was okay, they came into it in fairness. I just thought we played really well but haven't got that cutting edge at the moment, that's what we missed.

"Like last year, of course you have concerns and when you work in training, this week has been terrific, the finishing has been terrific and all you can do is carry on working.

"It's like anything else that's not quite right, you have to investigate, so we'll sit down and have a look."

Plymouth boss John Sheridan heaped praise on goalscorer Blizzard after his fine individual strike in the 68th minute saw the Pilgrims win on the road for the first time this season.

Sheridan said: "I think it was a great goal, great composure and great feet, but he's got that in his game.

"I'm really pleased for him, he missed a lot of football due to injury, so hopefully he can get back playing as he's a really good player when he's fit.

"He's not really been fit since he's been at the club and hopefully getting the winning goal will give him a big boost.

"We were under the cosh a bit, but that happens a little bit away from home.

"But I think Luke's (McCormick) had one save to make and I'd like to concentrate on the second half as we took the game to them.

"I thought we looked really solid and caused them problems."

The hosts had the better of the chances in the first half as Luke Guttridge's free-kick was palmed over by McCormick.

Luke Rooney then half-volleyed over, before Argyle missed a glorious chance when Lewis Alessandra could not beat Luton goalkeeper Mark Tyler when one-on-one.

Luton should have taken the lead in the 28th minute as Howells' scuffed shot was tipped wide by McCormick, while Plymouth striker Reuben Reid then forced Tyler into a good low stop.

Just before the break, Luton sliced their way through as Howells was denied by a brilliant McCormick block.

In the second period, Plymouth defender Kelvin Mellor blocked Ruddock Mpanzu's fierce drive and on the hour, the Pilgrims were inches away from breaking the deadlock too as Blizzard side-footed just wide.

But Blizzard then notched what proved to be the winner with some lovely skill and a measured finish.

Blizzard then should have put the result beyond doubt, but tamely prodded wide from Reid's cross, while the closest the Hatters came to levelling was when substitute Ross Lafayette fired wide when well placed.

Advertisement block