Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Gareth Ainsworth waits on Steven Craig news

6 September 2014

Wycombe Wanderers boss Gareth Ainsworth was waiting for confirmation of Steven Craig's neck injury following his side's 0-0 draw with Bury.

Craig landed awkwardly after an hour and the delay led to 14 minutes of added time, during which Matt McClure and Peter Murphy both head against the bar in a goalmouth scramble.

Andrew Tutte had earlier struck the bar for the visitors while Matt Ingram saved well from Danny Mayor but Wycombe took control of the contest following Craig's injury, which overshadowed what was to follow for Ainsworth.

"If I'm honest Stevie (Craig) is my main concern today," said the Chairboys' boss.

"The reports are it's a concussion but I will confirm those with the medical staff in time. If it is a concussion then there's a protocol where he has to have some time off and I'm not about to risk anyone's life.

"He was typical of the performance, putting himself there for the team and I think you saw that from all the players.

"The application and effort I've seen this year is brilliant and particularly against possibly the league favourites. We've made huge strides from last season both on and off the pitch."

On the late drama that almost saw his side take all three points, Ainsworth added: "The boys tell me the ball was across the line, but I would have said that as a player. We need get scoring again but I think the fans would have left here buzzing after a great point at home."

Bury boss David Flitcroft declared himself pleased to escape with a point.

He said: "Any point away from home is a point earned and I'm happy with that," said Flitcroft. "Wycombe show just what Gaz is about and what he was about as a player.

"They're one of the most hard-working teams in the league - they're fit and they will press you and keep going.

"They had the chances at the end and it was heart-in-the-mouth stuff for us and whether or not it (Murphy's header) went over the line, I'm not so sure. But still, Pablo Mills' performance warranted a clean sheet.

"In the first half we had some good chances, second half was a toss of the coin. I was sensing a change in the game up to the injury. I think that lengthy beak refuelled them.

"The plan was to wear them down in midfield because of their high tempo but the beak came at just the wrong time and gave them another burst."

Advertisement block