Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Round 2 review

8 October 2014

Two goals from Korey Smith and Wes Burns' effort guided Bristol City into the Third Round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with a 3-1 win at south-west rivals Cheltenham Town on Wednesday.

Substitute Terry Gornell struck at the other end, but it was too late to deny visiting manager Steve Cotterill the victory against his former club.

Burns netted the opener in the 28th minute, rising above his marker to head in a fine Jay Emmanuel-Thomas cross.

Smith scored in the 56th minute when he collected another inch-perfect pass from Emmanuel-Thomas before placing his shot beyond Cheltenham stopper Trevor Carson, and the goalkeeper was helpless to keep out Smith's second strike - a thundering 25-yard effort six minutes from time.

On Tuesday, Daniel Powell and Benik Afobe twice put the home team in front as they looked for their second victory over Wimbledon this season.

However, Adebayo Azeez and Sean Rigg twice equalised before Adebayo Akinfenwa snatched an 80th-minute winner for the visitors.

League 2 outfit Plymouth Argyle upset League 1 high-flyers Swindon Town as Lewis Alessandra bagged a brace and Deane Smalley also netted in a 3-2 victory at Home Park. The Pilgrims survived a late Swindon rally which saw Michael Smith and Ben Gladwin score deep into the second half.

Kevin Nugent claimed his first win as caretaker boss of Leyton Orient with a 2-0 success at Dagenham & Redbridge, with Jay Simpson netting twice as the O's followed up their defeat of holders Peterborough United in Round 1.

A 51st-minute Gwion Edwards goal was enough to give Crawley Town a 1-0 win at Luton Town, while Northampton Town prevailed 2-1 at Portsmouth as David Moyo and Kaid Mohamed scored to send the Cobblers into Saturday's draw.

Aaron Phillips bagged a brace and Josh McQuoid also struck as Coventry City beat Exeter City 3-1, while Gillingham won on penalties at Colchester United after they were locked at 3-3 after extra-time.

Brennan Dickenson, Bradley Dack and Antonio German scored for the Gills in regulation play, while goalkeeper Stuart Nelson was their hero during the shoot-out.

Sheffield United ensured there was no Johnstone's Paint Trophy boost for managerless Hartlepool United when prevailing 2-1 in their Northern Section clash at Victoria Park.

Michael Duckworth equalised for the home side after Jose Baxter had opened the scoring, but Jamal Campbell-Ryce bagged an 82nd-minute winner to send the Blades through.

Doncaster Rovers enjoyed a smooth 3-0 success at Burton Albion as Nathan Tyson struck from the penalty spot in between Harry Forrester and Richie Wellens goals.

Oldham Athletic edged out Barnsley in a penalty shoot-out at Boundary Park. Dominic Poleon and Danny Philliskirk had put the Latics in control in normal time, before a Luke Berry goal and Sam Winnall's 90th-minute strike pulled the Tykes level.

However, Winnall later missed his spot-kick and Paul Rachubka saved from Kane Hemmings as the home team triumphed 4-2 in the shoot-out.

Tranmere Rovers received a welcome boost when they shaded Carlisle United on penalties. Max Power scored for Rovers and Brad Potts netted for United in normal time, before Ben Davies later settled things with the deciding spot-kick.

Mathieu Manset scored the only goal of the game after 23 minutes as Walsall won 1-0 at Rochdale, while Daniel Nardiello bagged a brace as Bury beat Morecambe 3-1 at Gigg Lane.

Tom Pope's double couldn't save Port Vale from crashing out 3-2 at Preston North End, with Chris Humphrey, Joe Garner and Paul Gallagher all on target for the Lilywhites.

Notts County came from behind to prevail 2-1 at Scunthorpe United, after Stephen McLaughlin and Ronan Murray cancelled out Paddy Madden's opener for the Iron.

The draw for the Area Quarter-Finals will take place on Saturday, live on Sky Sports' Soccer AM.

Advertisement block