Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 1 round-up

29 November 2014

Benik Afobe bagged a hat-trick as high-flying Milton Keynes Dons extended their unbeaten run to five matches in all competitions with a 6-0 thrashing of Colchester United in Sky Bet League 1.

Bamidele Alli, Ben Reeves (penalty) and Lee Hodson were also on the scoresheet while the visitors ended the afternoon with 10 men after Will Packwood saw red midway through the second half.

Swindon Town kept the pressure up on leaders Bristol City with a 1-0 win over Fleetwood Town, although they needed an 86th-minute goal from Ben Gladwin to record a fourth successive league win.

Town remain a point behind City, who beat Peterborough United on Friday night, while third-placed Preston North End are a further point back after  goals from Paul Huntingdon and Paul Gallagher saw the Lilywhites heap further misery on lowly Yeovil Town, who had Ryan Inniss sent off in a 2-0 loss.

Oldham Athletic will also finish the weekend in the top six after an impressive 3-0 win away at fellow promotion hopefuls Rochdale. A Daniel Johnson brace and a Jonathan Forte penalty sealed the three points for the Latics.

Bradford City moved to within four points of the Play-Off places with their 3-1 win over Leyton Orient. Billy Knott, Billy Clarke and Jon Stead were all on target for the Bantams.

Orient had equalised through David Mooney in the 74th minute, but lost Chris Dagnall to a red card soon after and Bradford took advantage with two quickfire goals.

At the other end of the table, Paddy Madden's brace was enough to claim a vital three points for strugglers Scunthorpe United as they came from behind to beat Barnsley 2-1 at Oakwell, with the hosts having taken the lead through Marcello Trotta. The Iron remain in the bottom four only on goal difference.

Gavin Tomlin cancelled out Gary Roberts' opener as Crawley Town held Chesterfield to 1-1 draw. Both sides finished the game with 10 men after Izale McLeod and Daniel Jones were given their marching orders in stoppage time.

Elsewhere, James Coppinger rescued a point for Doncaster Rovers in their 1-1 draw at rock-bottom Crewe Alexandra, cancelling out Uche Ikpeazu's first-half opener, while a last-gasp leveller by veteran midfielder Michael Brown also ensured a share of the spoils for Port Vale in their 2-2 draw at Gillingham.

Vale had taken an 18th-minute lead through Dany N'Guessan but hosts Gillingham hit back to take the lead with two goals from John Egan either side of half-time.

Also, Coventry City's meeting with Walsall finished goalless.

Advertisement block