Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Area Quarter-Final review

12 November 2014

Aaron Wilbraham scored twice in four minutes as Bristol City edged past AFC Wimbledon 2-1 in the Area Quarter-Finals of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

The 35-year-old forward, captain for the evening with Wade Elliott rested, made it 10 for the season with 17 minutes to go from close range to eventually break down a stern Wimbledon resistance.

He sealed their progression to the Southern Section Semi-Final at the end of a rapid counter-attack before substitute George Francomb thundered in a late consolation.

A late goal from skipper Doug Loft put 10-man Gillingham into the Semi-Finals with a 2-1 victory at Crawley.

Izale McLeod broke the deadlock for Crawley after 21 minutes from the penalty spot after Jake Hessenthaler brought down Gwion Edwards.

Gillingham were reduced to 10 men midway through the second half when Joe Martin was dismissed for pushing McLeod off the ball.

But the visitors hit back to level after 68 minutes through substitute Jermaine McGlashan and Loft settled the issue two minutes from time by beating goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown from 35 yards with a deep cross which sailed into the top corner.
Goals from Jay Simpson and Marvin Bartley earned Leyton Orient a 2-0 victory over Northampton at Brisbane Road.

It was a maiden win under manager Mauro Milanese and it also gave the League 1 side their first home triumph of the season.

Orient broke the deadlock in the 28th minute. Chris Dagnall picked Simpson out with a delightful through ball and he drew Cobblers goalkeeper Matt Duke off his line before drilling the ball into the net.

Dagnall struck a post for Orient before Bartley wrapped up the win when he placed his shot into the corner from 15 yards.
In the Northern Section, two first-half goals in as many minutes sent Tranmere into the last four as they beat Bury 2-1 at the JD Stadium.

Nathan Cameron ghosted into the area and adjusted well to volley Nicky Adams' cross into the net to give the Shakers a 35th-minute lead.

However, two goals in 88 seconds just before the break swung the pendulum in Tranmere's favour.
Max Power claimed the first with a long-range free-kick which stayed low and crept inside debutant Scott Loach's near post before Danny Johnson scored his first senior goal.

On Wednesday evening, Romaine Sawyers fired Walsall in to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Area semi-finals after a comfortable 1-0 win over Sheffield United.

The Saddlers have never played at Wembley in their 126-year history but are just three games away following victory over the Blades.

Sawyers headed home a second-half winner from a corner to clinch a deserved win and to settle a forgettable game at the Banks's Stadium.

Coventry City bounced back from their FA Cup shock against Worcester City to book their place in the Northern Area semi-final with a 2-0 win over Plymouth Argyle.

Sky Blues boss Steven Pressley demanded a reaction after the weekend embarrassment against the non-league side and, while it was far from pretty, his team answered that call thanks to second-half strikes from Gary Madine and Frank Nouble.

Pressley's men made the breakthrough around the hour mark when Jim O'Brien's corner was headed home by Madine - his first goal for the club since joining on loan from Sheffield Wednesday.

Plymouth almost nicked an equaliser but Deane Smalley's header was repelled before Nouble made sure of the win for Coventry by finishing off a great run with five minutes remaining.

Advertisement block