Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Top five Football League Trophy Finals

25 March 2014

LIVE: The 2014 Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final - Please click here for live blog

Ahead of Sunday's Johnstone's Paint Trophy Wembley showdown between Chesterfield and Peterborough United, we've delved into the archives and picked out five of the best Football League Trophy Finals.

1986/87: Bristol City 1-1 Mansfield Town (AET - Mansfield won 5-4 on penalties)

This match makes the top five for being the first ever Final at Wembley to be decided on penalties.

After almost an hour without either team finding the net, Kevin Kent popped up to give Mansfield a 1-0 lead after 57 minutes, which they held onto until Glyn Riley levelled with two minutes left on the clock. The score remained at 1-1 after extra time and what followed was a breathtaking penalty shoot-out.

Gordon Owen stepped up for City with the chance of winning the Trophy but his miss took the spot-kicks to sudden death. Current Manchester United boss David Moyes then missed the Robins' next penalty, as Mansfield were crowned champions.

1990/91: Birmingham City 3-2 Tranmere Rovers

This clash between two third tier sides saw Birmingham take a 2-0 lead by half-time, only for Tranmere to turn things around in the space of eight second-half minutes. With the game heading towards a draw and extra-time, John Gayle netted his second of the match after 84 minutes before Birmingham closed out the victory in front of nearly 60,000 fans.

1994/95 : Birmingham City 1-0 Carlisle United

By beating Carlisle United 1-0, Birmingham became the first team to win the tournament twice, four years after their first success, and this Final was the first match at Wembley to be decided by a golden goal. Substitute Paul Tait was the man who netted in the 103rd minute to give Birmingham the Football League Trophy for the second time.

2006/07: Bristol Rovers 2-3 Doncaster Rovers (AET)

With the new Wembley just a few weeks away from opening its doors, the last English domestic final to take place at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium was full of drama, and it was the first Football League Trophy competition to be known as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Bristol Rovers, who would go on to win promotion from League 2 through the Play-Offs, found themselves 1-0 down to League 1 side Doncaster Rovers inside 47 seconds and two down after just five minutes. Incredibly, they were the first goals the Gas had conceded in the competition all season.

However, they fought back with a second-half penalty from Richard Walker and a Sammy Igoe half-volley to take the game into the additional 30 minutes. With the match 10 minutes away from penalties, it was the higher division side who eventually triumphed, with Graeme Lee's header sending the newly-named Johnstone's Paint Trophy to South Yorkshire.

2008/09: Luton Town 3-2 Scunthorpe United (AET)

Just two years later, another 3-2 extra-time win followed, this time between Luton Town, who were bottom of The Football League, and League 1 promotion contenders Scunthorpe United, in one of the best games seen at the rebuilt Wembley.

Gary Hooper had given the Iron the lead before Chris Martin and Tom Craddock goals put the Hatters in front. With 88 minutes on the clock, Scunthorpe's Grant McCann netted a spectacular strike to send the tie to extra-time, where Claude Gnakpa's 95th-minute lob over Joe Murphy secured the win for Luton, who would go on to be relegated out of The League.

Advertisement block