Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Swindon Town manager Mark Cooper keeping grounded

29 March 2014

Swindon Town manager Mark Cooper refused to get carried away after seeing his side topple Sheffield United 2-1 to move one point off a Play-Off spot.

Youngster Louis Thompson came off the bench to net the winner in injury-time to seal the three points and the Robins' third win in a row.

The midfielder finished off a fantastic counter attack involving Nathan Byrne and Miles Storey to score his first career goal.

Storey had opened the scoring after 18 minutes by drilling a shot into the top right-hand corner of the net after good work from Ben Gladwin, but Michael Doyle equalised after 59 minutes when he tapped in Kieron Freeman's cross.

Cooper said: "We are finishing the season like we wanted. We are looking at the next game and we have got a really tough game and a long trip to Carlisle next week.

"In the second half we were under the cosh. We didn't have enough possession and came under pressure. The goalkeeper had to get us out at the end - he made a world class save that led to the winning goal.

"In the first half I thought we were excellent but in the second half we were under the cosh against a very good team, but we dug it out.

"It was fantastic to see the scenes of a local boy who has come through the academy and get the goal and then see his brother sprint round the back of the goal to celebrate with him."

After Doyle's equaliser the Blades pushed for the winner but were denied by a stunning Wes Foderingham save.

The goalkeeper, who had just seen Doyle fizz a shot past his post, expertly kept out Conor Coady at close range to deny the away side.

The defeat leaves the FA Cup semi-finalists 10th in League One and seven points off a play-offs spot, but with two games in hand.

Frustrated boss Nigel Clough said: "We totally wasted the first 45 minutes. We didn't start playing until half-time. We've eight games to go and will keep going.

"We can't afford to waste 45 minutes of any game and we had three penalty appeals turned down. The second half was magnificent though.

"Overall I think the travelling may have got to us. We had a long trip down to Crawley in midweek and we came down again yesterday. It was also very warm out there.

"Swindon played at a slow tempo but we can't allow them to dictate to us. In the she second half we dictated the play and had the chances to have won it but their keeper pulled off a fantastic save.``

Advertisement block