Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Port Vale manager Micky Adams fears for his health

22 March 2014

Port Vale manager Micky Adams feared his team would give him a heart attack after they almost let a three-goal lead slip in this thrilling game.

Adams' men appeared to be cruising towards an easy win before struggling Tranmere netted twice in two minutes to set up a grandstand finish.

There were chances galore in a contest which could have yielded many more goals, but Adams was nevertheless a very happy man after seeing Vale reach the 50-point mark after hanging on to a 3-2 win.

He said: "They could give me a heart attack at times, but we've got to 50 points and that's a fantastic achievement for this group of players.

"Our next target is 53 points and we'll try to win as many of the remaining games as possible to finish as high up the league as possible.

"We were comfortable at 3-0 and then we are on a knife-edge because the Achilles heel we have had all season returned.

"I've never managed a team who have conceded so many goals from set pieces. We've worked hard to try to put that right but it's still happening.

"The first one from the corner is a good header by their big centre-half (Ash Taylor), but we've got to defend much stronger than that and it's disappointing.

"But I still want to pay tribute to my players for their efforts this season and I think we deserved our win. Tom Pope and Ben Williamson have caused Tranmere's defenders a lot of problems and we should have scored more goals."

Goals from Pope, Billy Knott and Williamson put Vale on course for the points but Ash Taylor and Jason Koumas brought Rovers back into it.

Tranmere assistant manager John McMahon said: "Our defending was unacceptable because you can't give teams a start.

"We were very poor at the start of both halves and Vale made us pay, but I thought we were terrific for most of the rest of the game.

"Before the game we talked about Vale's strengths. We knew they would be direct and try to get on the second balls, but we didn't do enough to stop that.

"We should have competed more at the start of both halves and it's totally unacceptable.

"I would like to thank our fans who were terrific again and helped us get back into it. It was game on at 3-2 and we should then have had a penalty for a trip on Liam Ridehalgh.

"I've watched it seven times on the DVD and for the life of me I can't see why it's not been given. The Vale lad has totally missed the ball and caught him.

"I've been trying to see the referee, but unfortunately I can't find him anywhere."

Advertisement block