Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Peterborough United's road to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final

27 March 2014

LIVE: The 2014 Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final - Please click here for live blog

Second Round: Peterborough United 2-1 Brentford

Just like their Wembley opponents, Peterborough United were handed a bye in the first round so didn't kick their Johnstone's Paint Trophy campaign off until October with a home tie against fellow Sky Bet League 1 promotion-chasers Brentford.

And Posh came out of the traps quickly with a flying start that saw them eventually get the breakthrough on 18 minutes with an own goal being scored by Brentford's Martin Taylor.

They didn't extend their lead until the 70th minute when Grant McCann scored from the penalty spot, before Ben Nugent got one back with 10 to go and ensured that there were some nervous moments for the home side before the final whistle.

Quarter-Finals: Peterborough United 1-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

A second home tie saw Peterborough progress past Sky Bet League 2's Dagenham & Redbridge in the Quarter-Finals.

They could have been out of sight by half-time but failed to take their chances and it wasn't until the 56th minute that they got the only goal of the night - Britt Asombalonga steering in a low cross.

That came after the Daggers had passed up their best chance of the game and Peterborough went on to see things out comfortably.

Semi-Finals: Newport County 0-3 Peterborough United

Peterborough's first away trip of this season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy sent them to South Wales for a tie against Newport County, who had made a good start to life back in The Football League.

A goal from Kgosi Ntlhe on 13 minutes put Posh in front on the night but they didn't put the seal on their progress until right at the death.

They could have extended their lead and Newport also had opportunities to level before Grant McCann drove in a shot with the clock reading 90 minutes.

To put the icing on the cake, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing added a third in stoppage time for Darren Ferguson's men.

Area Final: Swindon Town 3-3 Peterborough United (on aggregate, Peterborough won 4-3 on penalties)

Peterborough had reached the Southern Area Final conceding just one goal and were handed a tie against Swindon Town, who they had already played twice in Sky Bet League 1 - winning 1-0 at London Road on the opening day but going down 2-1 away less than a month before the first leg.

And, in front of their own fans for the first of the two legs, Posh must have thought they were well set for a good night. A Raphael Rossi Branco own goal and a Kyle Vassell effort had the Posh 2-0 up by the 14th minute, but Nile Ranger got one back for Swindon.

The visitors then had Jay McEveley sent off before Shaun Brisley's own goal levelled it up at 2-2 in a pulsating first half.

The score remained 2-2 at full-time so it was all to play for in the reverse fixture at the County Ground, where Alex Pritchard scored on 34 minutes to put the Robins 3-2 up on aggregate.

Britt Asombalonga's equaliser with a quarter of an hour to go took the game to penalties to decide who would be going to Wembley. With the shoot-out standing at 3-3, Swindon substitute Tijane Reiss fired his kick wide before captain Tommy Rowe stepped up to send Peterborough through to the Final.

For all the latest news on Peterborough United please click here

Advertisement block