Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Paul Parry rolls back years for Shrewsbury Town

12 March 2014

Shrewsbury Town manager Mike Jackson said it was a missed opportunity as his side had to settle for a point from a 1-1 draw with Crawley Town.

Paul Parry's fine strike 11 minutes into the second half cancelled out a lead given to Crawley by their captain Josh Simpson midway through the first period.

Parry and Miles Storey also hit the post as Shrewsbury's run without a home victory was stretched to 10 matches.

Jackson said: "We took a point when others have lost so it just claws a bit back on everyone else.

"We've got Wolves this weekend and then our game in hand at Colchester.

"We're still in there grafting and fighting, scrapping, and we wanted a response like that second half.

"The fans were great second half, got right behind us and there was an atmosphere, but we gave them something to shout about.

"They were disappointed with the first half as there wasn't much to cheer, in the first half an hour especially."

Jackson reserved special praise for former Wales international winger Parry, 33, whose second goal in as many games rescued a point.

He added: "He's been different class and he's got goals in him. He might have got another one when he smashed a shot against the post.

"His work-rate and energy for his age is outstanding and I can't speak highly enough of him.

"From the first day I took over, he's been great."

Crawley manager John Gregory admitted Shrewsbury were a much different proposition in the second half, but felt his side still had the chances to claim victory.

The best of them fell the way of substitute Jamie Proctor in stoppage time when he was denied by an excellent save from Joe Anyon.

Gregory said: "Shrewsbury were a completely different team in the second half.

"Mike made one change at half-time and there was a big transformation in their play.

"I think he must have woke them up at half-time because they threw everything at us.

"Having said that we still had unbelievable chances to have finished the game off, but we didn't take them.

"It's been the story of the last few weeks.

"We've had games where we've been in total control and should have been going home with three points, but we've missed opportunities and have lived to rue them which we did again."

Gregory, who made four changes to the team beaten at Gillingham last weekend, added: "We had total control in the first half and at times had so much of the ball that I wanted us to play with a little bit more tempo.

"We probably didn't use it as well as we should have done and chances came and went.

"I certainly would have been more comfortable coming in at half-time more than 1-0 ahead, but the second half was much more difficult."

Advertisement block