Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Justin Edinburgh relieved after rare Newport County win

22 March 2014

Newport County boss Justin Edinburgh praised his side for their 'massive' 1-0 win at League 2 basement side Torquay United.

County striker Chris Zebroski, a former Torquay forward, scored the eighth minute winner against the early run of play after being teed up by playmaker Adam Chapman following a free-kick.

Zebroski's angled drive from the right was aided by a looping deflection off defender Dale Tonge as he slid in to tackle the Newport top scorer.

Torquay were reduced to 10 men in the 35th minute when Shamir Goodwin saw red for a foul on County skipper Michael Flynn and they almost went 2-0 down when Andrew Hughes' 74th minute header came back off the post.

Torquay central defender Aaron Downes' stoppage time header was saved on the goal-line by goalkeeper Ian McLoughlin, sparking a frantic last minute goalmouth scramble but the Exiles held on.

Edinburgh admitted: "I am extremely happy with the three points and a clean sheet away from home coming off the back of a very difficult run of late. All-in-all I thought it was an excellent three points."

"It was a massive win for us.We have been on a terrible run but credit to the players they have continued to work hard and put in the performances.

"We spoke about continuing to do what we have been doing and the results would come, and hopefully this is the start of a good run. We have got back to back home games coming up now so we have an immediate opportunity to build on this.

"It's given us a foundation because we had forgotten how to win football matches and we have got to make sure we don't waste this because it was a have fought three points and a big three points.

"It's double figures for Chris Zebroski now and he's our top goalscorer and bearing in mind he was out for three months, that's good going. He knows where the goal is and unfortunately it's come back to haunt one of the clubs where he served so well."

Assistant Torquay manager Lee Hodges said: "The sending off was a game changer. The feeling in the dressing room is one of disappointment because we've had 10 men for a long period and we have had to dig-in deep, which the boys have done.

"We should have come and nicked something right at the end and again we are disappointed because we didn't get the equaliser for the efforts the boys have put in.

"We were also disappointed with the way we have conceded the goal, it was sloppy on our part and we are going to have to work on that again.

"But we will have to take the effort the boys put in and build on that at York on Tuesday night.

"It's frustrating. We wanted to put two wins together to close the gap and it hasn't happened. Now we have to train hard and be ready because we have got two big games coming up next week.

"Every game from now until the end of the season will be colossal for us, we've got eight cup finals and we have to take them one at a time and the next one is York away on Tuesday."

Advertisement block