Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Checkatrade Trophy

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final - match report

30 March 2014

Peterborough United

Doyle 53


McQuoid 7
Brisley 38
Assombalonga 78 pen


Ref: Mr A D'Urso

  Attendance: 35,663

Peterborough United won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy for the first time in their history with a 3-1 win over Chesterfield at Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

In doing so, Posh boss Darren Ferguson became the first person to win the competition as a manager and as a captain, having scored for Wrexham in their 2005 extra-time success over Southend United, at the Millennium Stadium.

With the sun beating down on Wembley, the game was in its infancy when Josh McQuoid opened the scoring for Peterborough after just seven minutes.

Shaun Brisley met Grant McCann's outswinging corner with a thumping header which Tommy Lee did well to keep out, however before he could blink, the ball was behind him. Bournemouth loanee McQuoid was on hand to turn the lose ball home from close range for his first goal in Posh colours after joining in mid-February.

The goal came just three mins after Chesterfield's Eoin Doyle had seen his penalty appeals waived away after a firm challenge from Brisley just inside the Posh penalty area.

Peterborough had appeals of their own in the 15th minute after Britt Assombalonga, a losing finalist with Southend United last season, went down under a challenge from Liam Cooper but again referee Andy D'Urso saw nothing that he considered an infringement.

As the sun took a back seat and it began to cloud over, Chesterfield were growing into the match and moving the ball around the Wembley pitch freely, patiently looking for the right opportunity to hit back.

Lone frontman Doyle, on the end of everything that the Spireites were doing well, then flashed a ball from the right across the face of the goal after combining well with Sky Bet League 2 Player of the Year Gary Roberts to create the opportunity.

Brisley was again in the centre of the action in the 26th minute when Roberts cut into the penalty area on his left foot and went down in the box. Again, no penalty was awarded and the incident provoked an angry reaction from the Posh centre-half who felt the ex-Huddersfield Town winger was looking to gain an unfair advantage.

In the 32nd minute Chesterfield should have been level. Tendayi Darikwa delicately dinked a cross into the region of three Blues shirts. Sam Morsy was the nearest but he snatched at his shot and it flew wide of the target.

Ian Evatt then planted an inswinging Roberts free kick into the gloves of Olejnik when free at the far post. The way the game was going, you got the feeling a goal was coming, and it duly arrived.

Unfortunately for Chesterfield fans, despite their dominance, it was at their end. In a rare foray into the Spireites half, Peterborough won a corner and it proved decisive. Brisley again rose highest to get on the end of Swanson's set piece, heading into the top corner.

Peterborough had a chance at the start of the second period to put the match beyond their League 2 opponents but Assombalonga miskicked with the goal at his mercy. A few minutes later Swanson weaved his way into the area and curled a left-footed effort over the bar.

They were both good opportunities for Posh and surviving them gave Chesterfield further impetus. From their very next attack they took on greater significance as the Spireites hit back.

After some fluid interplay in midfield, Morsy ran at the Posh defence and his square ball found Doyle, who span on the spot to neatly turn the ball past Olejnik for his 10th of the season.

Darren Ferguson made his first change on 66 minutes, bringing on Jack Payne for Grant McCann and from the restart Newell looked to get the better of Morsy down the right but he didn't make the progress he had hoped for, and as the ball ran out for a throw-in, he kicked out at the former Port Vale midfielder and was promptly dismissed.

Chesterfield had been bright in possession throughout the game with Peterborough happy to let them play it around in front of them but the extra space was something Posh were able to better utilise, despite the numerical disadvantage.

With 14 minutes remaining, Mark Little stretched his legs down the right-hand side, attacking from deep, before his run was abruptly ended by Cooper in the box. This time there was little doubt and Mr D'Urso awarded the spot-kick in front of 18,000 delighted Peterborough fans.

Assombalonga duly obliged from the spot, sending Lee the wrong way for his 28th goal of the season, and that was enough to seal a first Trophy success for Posh and a historic personal double for manager Ferguson.

Chesterfield: Lee; Darikwa, Evatt (capt), Cooper, Humphreys; Ryan, Morsy, Banks (sub Hird 12, sub Richards 78), O'Shea (sub Bennett 72), Roberts; Doyle.

Subs not used: Dunbavin, Talbot.

Peterborough: Olejnik; Little, Brisley (sub Alcock 72), Bostwick, Knight-Percival; Swanson, Rowe (capt), McCann (sub Payne 66); Newell, McQuoid (sub Isgrove 82), Assombalonga.

Subs not used: Day, Ntlhe.

Advertisement block