Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

David Flitcroft rues 'inept' first half

12 March 2014

Bury boss David Flitcroft expressed disappointment despite watching his side twice come from behind to draw 2-2 with high-flying Fleetwood Town.

Daniel Nardiello struck twice to cancel out goals from Antoni Sarcevic and Jamille Matt but Flitcroft was unhappy with the performance from the Shakers.

"I don't think we deserved the win based on the first-half showing because we were inept in the first half," said Flitcroft, who has still not lost at home as Bury manager.

"I'm disappointed with the performance. It was, at times, static football and I want fluidity in the play - but we didn't have that.

"In the second half we took Fleetwood on and dominated the game. I don't know how many chances we had but we were certainly a force of fury, which I was pleased about.

"But it's about putting 90-minute performances in. You've got to put 90-minute performances in to win football games and we didn't do that.

"I'm not going to lose sight of where we're at though. We took on Fleetwood, who were one of the favourites for promotion at the start of the season, and they couldn't live with us in the second half.

"To score two goals at home and not come away with the win is disappointing."

Fleetwood found plenty of space in the opening stages and Brian Jensen made a sharp save to keep out Nathan Pond's header from a Josh Morris corner.

Bury only woke up following a tactical switch and substitute Tom Soares forced Chris Maxwell into a superb, full-length save to keep out his effort.

But the visitors went ahead in the 41st minute when Bury failed to clear a Morris cross and Sarcevic fired home at the far post.

The equaliser was not long in coming though as Nardiello flicked Danny Mayor's cross past Maxwell at the start of the second half.

Fleetwood restored their advantage in the 57th minute, with Matt reacting quickest after Jensen had denied Jon Parkin.

But Bury were level again four minutes later. Nardiello netted from the penalty spot after Charlie Taylor had fouled him inside the box.

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro produced a moment of brilliance but could not clinch victory, his shot was blocked well by Maxwell.

Fleetwood boss Graham Alexander was left to rue his side's failure to score more than one goal during a dominant first half showing.

He said: "It's a point but overall we could have led by more than one at half-time and conceding straight away in the second half punctured the good feeling we had.

"We responded really well and scored another good goal. From there, we should see it out but we conceded a penalty and let them back into it.

"It's disappointing we drew after taking the lead twice but we seem to have found our scoring boots again, which is good.

"When you're on top you need to score goals. We were happy to score one but we did deserve to score more than one.

"We created opportunities, looked dangerous at set pieces and hit the post as well.

"If you go in at 2-0 you've got a cushion, but we didn't and you're always on a fine line then. If there's one slip or one mistake, they'll get the equaliser and that was the case."

Advertisement block