Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Steve Davis pleased with his Crewe Alexandra side

21 January 2014

Crewe Alexandra boss Steve Davis was thrilled with the 2-0 win over Milton Keynes Dons.

Chuks Aneke and Ajay Leitch-Smith provided the goals that lifted Crewe out of the League One drop zone.

On-loan Arsenal striker Aneke curled in a fantastic free kick from 20 yards after he was fouled by Stephen Gleeson.

Leitch-Smith then calmed any nerves around Gresty Road with a cool finish on 69 minutes after MK Dons missed a penalty.

Darren Potter stepped up after Matt Tootle handled in his own penalty area but Ben Garratt tipped the attempt around the post.

Davis said: "I was surprised Chuks took the ball for the free-kick as he only practices them a little bit.

"But he's very confident and that's what he can do. It got a little deflection off the top of the wall but I don't care.

"I was going to take Ajay off at half-time but I said to him, 'Get yourself going second half,' which he did and he didn't show a lack of confidence with his finish.

"I congratulated Ben on the penalty save and we have a check of where takers have gone over a time, so we had an idea and Ben went a bit earlier and was able to cover the post.

"They started brighter than we did but we knew if we could keep them out of the first half hour, we'd come through the game OK.

"If we keep playing that way, we'll be fine."

MK Dons manager Karl Robinson saw Samir Carruthers hit the crossbar with the scores at 0-0 while George Baldock claimed a penalty.

However, he was left cursing after a damaging defeat in their quest for promotion.

"The game hinged on us being very good for 30 minutes then us losing discipline," he said.

"We became too offensive, too open and too expansive. We've conceded 15 goals in the last seven games and that isn't acceptable.

"People were doing their own thing through an eagerness to do too much. We've got to be little bit more honest and open with ourselves.

"We weren't horrendous. We weren't really poor. We were just indisciplined at key moments of the game.

"That's the problem. We had more than 50 minutes to get it back after the first goal but we felt we needed to score in the first two or three minutes, when that wasn't the case.

"And when we missed the penalty there were still more than 30 minutes to go and we know how quickly games can change.

"We were just too eager and we're trying to get back in a game so quickly, rather than being calculated about it.

"But it's a good week for me as without a game, I now have time to coach."

Advertisement block