Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Rotherham United manager Steve Evans happy with a point against Crawley Town

25 January 2014

Rotherham manager Steve Evans was desperate for a win against former club Crawley but in the end was mightily grateful to settle for a 2-2 draw as Kieran Agard's equaliser came in the fifth minute of added time.

Evans admitted it was "a below-par performance" by Rotherham and in the end he was very happy to settle for a point.

Matt Tubbs, who scored just once in 17 appearances for Rotherham earlier this season, opened the scoring against his former club after 23 minutes for his new club.

Rotherham equalized 10 minutes later from the penalty spot through Agard, but Josh Simpson shocked Rotherham by firing Crawley into the lead for a second time after 65 minutes and the visitors looked like having the last laugh.

But Agard rescued a point for Evans' promotion-chasers with his second of the game and his 15th of the season in the fifth minute of stoppage time, firing home after a sustained spell of home pressure.

Evans said: "I always thought we were capable of scoring a goal, particularly in that last five or 10 minutes when we finally put some balls into the box.

"I don't think there were many people who felt we shouldn't be three up after 20 minutes, but we didn't take those chances and we got punished twice by sloppy defending.

"I don't think any of the players will go home and think they have been on top of their game.

"It was a below-par performance in all areas of the team, so I suppose when you score as late as that and you get a point, we have to be happy with a point.

"Even after we scored as late as we did we had people running about thinking about Roy of the Rovers and scoring a winner and Crawley almost scored a winner, instead of taking what you've got.

"There is no doubt about our character, but sometimes our ability against teams we should beat is in question."

Crawley boss John Gregory was clearly disappointed his team could not hang on for a victory.

"We are devastated," he said. "It feels like a defeat conceding that goal so late in the game.

"Nevertheless there were a lot of good things, but when they scored five minutes and fifty seconds into added time so the referee is 50 seconds over the five minutes allocated and I don't know where he got that from.

"In the second half in particular we were outstanding and you won't see a better goal than our second anywhere in the world this weekend.

"The second 45 minutes was probably the best since I've been here.

"But it helps to play on a pitch like this. This stadium helps. It was a brilliant atmosphere, a great stadium to play in.

"We didn't play as well in the first half as the second.

"In the second half some of the stuff from us was brilliant. Defensively we dealt with everything they have thrown at us."

Advertisement block