Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Torquay United overcome late night hotel drama

1 February 2014

Torquay United manager Chris Hargreaves was delighted a 1.45am alarm call and late-night hotel flood did not ruin his side's performance as they boosted their survival hopes with a 1-0 win at Portsmouth.

The Gulls remain second from bottom of Sky Bet League Two on goal difference, but closed on their rivals when Billy Bodin converted Joss Labadie's cross after 28 minutes.

The Devon club did not enjoy the best preparation for the game after being forced from their hotel beds in the middle of the night when a water storage unit on their hotel roof burst and flooded rooms.

Hargreaves' men were evacuated and finally sought refuge at another hotel at 5am.

But the Gulls boss admits he might build more rude awakenings into his side's pre-match routine after they grafted to a huge three points.

He said: "To be dragged out of their beds and walked away from that hotel with no possessions, hardly any clothes, get no sleep for three hours and then produce that is fantastic for me.

"The fire alarm went off at 1.45am, we didn't know what was going on and we were panicking. We were thinking it would go off soon.

"We walked out into the corridors and were dragged down to reception. Then we spent the next three hours waiting there because the rooms were flooded.

"In the end, I said to the coach driver 'We're off. Let's get to the other hotel'. We checked in there at 5am.

"It worked out in the end, so we've decided that on the next away trip we'll set the fire alarm off and go through the same routine again. It could be quite difficult, but we'll try."

Hargreaves hailed his side's battling qualities as Pompey piled on the pressure after the break.

He added: "In the second half, we came under a major amount of pressure as we expected. We put bodies on the line and there were heroic performances. I'm delighted for them and delighted for their work rate."

Portsmouth boss Richie Barker admits a slow start cost the Blues as their four-match unbeaten run ended.

He said: "It was pretty much a game of two halves. In the second half I was pleased, but in the first half we wasted 45 minutes. We certainly weren't at the races, which was disappointing.

"It was a disappointing end to a good week. We've turned what could have been an excellent week into a very average week.

"We just didn't do enough and we didn't start the game well enough. We've unravelled a lot of the hard work we've done over the last five days.

"I hope it's not complacency. There is a difference between confidence and complacency. So if there was any complacency, we need to get rid of that pretty quickly."

Advertisement block