Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Oxford United boss Mickey Lewis left fuming by late twist

22 February 2014

Oxford United caretaker manager Mickey Lewis was left fuming as his promotion-seeking side shipped an injury-time leveller to draw 1-1 at Morecambe.

The injury-hit U's looked set for a vital three points after David Connolly's opener but were undone when the home side scored a sloppy goal through defender Robbie Threlfall two minutes into injury time.

Lewis said: "We should have had the three points, it's as simple as that.

"I know Morecambe had a lot of possession in the second half but I didn't ever really feel under threat until the final 20 minutes when we sat back and failed to impose ourselves on the game.

"We took the lead with a good finish from David Connolly and had a couple of good chances to get a second which would have given us the win but we didn't take them and that proved vital.

"When we did break out we weren't good enough on the ball and our quality didn't shine through like it should have done. We were sloppy in good areas and while the game was 1-0 they always had a chance of getting back into it.

"To be fair to Morecambe they kept going and really put us under pressure but we should have dealt better with the pressure.

"We are all angry and we have said a few words after the game but we will move on and look to get back to winning ways against Rochdale next week.''

Oxford took the lead in the 13th minute when Connolly's drilled shot took a sharp defection off Morecambe skipper Mark Hughes to find a way past Barry Roche.

Two chances in succession arrived for Shrimps striker Jack Sampson before Alfie Potter drilled an effort just wide for the U's.

Ryan Clarke was forced into a fine save from Tony Diagne in the 90th minute but the goalkeeper could do nothing with the resulting corner, which found its way into the Oxford goal to earn a point that Morecambe boss Jim Bentley claimed his side fully deserved.

He said: "I thought the lads were terrific and dominated the second half against a good Oxford side who are pushing for promotion.

"Once again we shot ourselves in to the foot early in the game and went behind to a poor goal and we really do have to tighten up in those situations.

"But after that we were in charge for long periods and thankfully had a bit of luck at the end with the goal that took a couple of deflections before it ended up in the net.

"I think nobody could say we didn't deserve it, though, because we pushed a good side all the way and played some good stuff on a very difficult pitch.

"We still haven't won for nine games but we have reached the 40-point mark and I hope that gives us a boost. We are playing much better and I don't think we are far away, but we still desperately want to turn these draws into wins.''

Advertisement block