Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Burton Albion boss Gary Rowett content with point

19 February 2014

Burton Albion boss Gary Rowett was pleased with a point from a 1-1 draw with Rochdale at Spotland.

A goalkeeping blunder by Brewers stopper Rob Lainton handed promotion rivals Dale a share of the spoils.

Lainton spilled a tame George Donnelly shot over the line midway through the second half with Burton leading courtesy of Zeli Ismail's 34th minute goal.

Rowett was disappointed with the soft goal but insisted the result was a positive one.

He said: "You could argue we are frustrated after conceding a goal like that having worked so had with the gameplan we had. It worked really hard for 65 minutes and at that stage you don't want to give them a cheap way back into the game and we possibly did.

"You have to take that on the chin and hope it doesn't affect the rest of the game. For five or 10 minutes we started to concede a bit of space but we regained composure well and towards the end had one or two openings from set-pieces. I'd have take a point before the game because Rochdale are a very good side and I'm sure they will be up there or thereabouts at the end of the season."

Burton took the lead against the run of play when Damien McCrory's corner was met by Ian Sharps. Dale stopper Josh Lillis could only parry the defender's header to Ismail, who hammered a shot inside the near post.

The home side should have levelled before the break when Ian Henderson met Michael Rose's free-kick but his header was straight at Lainton.

Dale levelled in the 66th minute when Lainton dropped a clanger, allowing a tame shot from substitute Donnelly to slip through his hands and over the goalline.

Scott Hogan almost won it for Dale when he met Rose's free-kick but Lainton pushed his header over the crossbar. The Brewers also went close in time added on with Billy Kee's free-kick saved by Lillis.

Rochdale boss Keith Hill was content with a point.

"It's a point gained, a massive point against our promotion rivals. All the pressure was on us, so it was a huge point for us," he said.

"We had to move the ball quicker in the first half but we didn't and they scored and I just thought that was it - 1-0 to Burton. But we played better in the second half, we started creating the space between their back four and the midfield and we started to get Scott Hogan in behind.

"When I changed to a two-man midfield it opened things up, I don't know whether they were trying to push for the winning goal - I think they were trying to land on the winning goal - and we left ourselves vulnerable at time. But they were only playing with one up front, so it was worth us taking a gamble to try and win it."

Advertisement block