Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Roundups

Sky Bet League 2 round-up

19 August 2014

We take a look at the midweek action in Sky Bet League 2

Morecambe continued their dream start to the Sky Bet League 2 season by making it three straight wins with a 1-0 home victory over Oxford United on Tuesday night.

The Shrimps went into the new campaign as rank outsiders for promotion but followed up defeats of Dagenham & Redbridge and Newport County thanks to Kevin Ellison's fourth strike this term on 39 minutes at Globe Arena.

Burton Albion also have a maximum haul of nine points as Stuart Beavon stepped up to the plate following the sale of Billy Kee to score the only goal of the game against Exeter at Pirelli Stadium.

Pre-season title favourites Portsmouth remained unbeaten thanks to a 2-0 home victory over Northampton Town, with just over 15,000 at Fratton Park to see Jed Wallace and Craig Westcarr get on the scoresheet.

Shrewsbury Town took full advantage of Accrington Stanley having goalkeeper Luke Simpson sent off as they romped to a 4-0 success at New Meadow, with Andy Mangan bagging a brace, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro netting from the penalty spot and Connor Goldson also on target.

Cheltenham Town failed to make it a hat-trick of league victories when having to settle for a 0-0 draw with Carlisle United, who picked up their first point of the season at Whaddon Road Ground.

Luke Howell and Abu Ogogo hit the back of the net as Dagenham prevailed 2-0 at Hartlepool United in a battle of two other teams who had nothing to show for their first two fixtures.

Pelly Ruddock equalised in injury time as Luton Town drew 1-1 with fellow promotion hopefuls Bury, who had hit the front just after the hour mark through Danny Rose.

Mansfield Town edged out Newport 1-0 thanks to a Chris Clements strike after just two minutes, while AFC Wimbledon won by the same scoreline at Southend United after George Francomb netted on the hour mark.

There was late drama at Home Park as Deane Smalley converted a penalty eight minutes into stoppage time to earn Plymouth a 1-1 draw with Stevenage, who had gone ahead through Connor Calcutt.

Wes Fletcher also equalised from the spot late on as York City fought back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at home to Cambridge United, with Jake Hyde having earlier pulled one back after Tom Elliott and a Kwesi Appiah penalty had put the visitors in control.

Cole Stockton and Max Power were on target as Tranmere Rovers ended Wycombe Wanderers' winning run with a 2-0 success at Adams Park.

Advertisement block