Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Gary Johnson relief at Yeovil Town win at Walsall

20 August 2014

Gary Johnson was a relieved man after Yeovil grabbed their first League One win of the season, a 2-1 victory at Walsall.

Kevin Dawson teed up James Hayter for the game's opener and after Tom Bradshaw's equaliser Dawson netted the winner to leave Walsall still searching for their maiden victory.

"We needed a win sooner rather than later for the confidence of the boys, who are a new group," Johnson said.

"I thought the game could have gone either way - they (Walsall) had chances, and so did we."

The Saddlers dominated the first half but their inability to finish was yet again their downfall.

Ashley Grimes and Romaine Sawyers both failed with only Glovers' goalkeeper Chris Weale to beat, and Andy Taylor flashed a 20-yard free-kick just wide of the far post.

But Yeovil showed them the way to finish in the 56th minute when Hayter sent a bullet header past Richard O'Donnell but Walsall they were back in the game when Bradshaw forced the ball over the line in a goalmouth scramble in the 72nd minute.

A minute later, however, Dawson hit the winner for Yeovil although striker AJ Leitch-Smith appeared to get a touch with his chest on the line.

Walsall manager Dean Smith was upset about the winner because he thought it was blatant handball, and he felt his team should have had a penalty for a push in the back that floored substitute Amadou Bakayoko in the last minute of normal time.

Smith said: "We should have had three goals in the first half but we didn't take our chances. Then their winning goal was punched in, and we should have had a blatant penalty. But we lost our way when they scored their second goal. But we shall learn from it."

Smith also bemoaned the number of men he has out injured, and he confirmed he is still negotiating to bring in another striker to help out.

But from Yeovil's viewpoint, Gary Johnson is hoping this result will help his men improve results after losing their opening two league games.

He admitted there were a couple of dodgy decision in the game, but thought referee Jeremy Simpson did well overall.

"We want to compete in this division and give the fans another year like we had two seasons ago," he added.

Advertisement block