Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Caretaker Mark Lillis doesn't want Huddersfield Town job full-time

20 August 2014

Huddersfield Town caretaker manager Mark Lillis insists he does not want the job on a full-time basis d espite leading them to their first Sky Bet Championship win of the season.

Speaking after the Terriers' 2-1 win against Reading at the Madejski Stadium, Lillis revealed he wants to return to his role with the club's academy.

"No, I don't want the job," he said. "I'm the academy manager. I've been doing it for two and a half years now.

"Okay, when you get nights like tonight, you get that little buzz again. And you think: 'You know what, I wouldn't mind a bit of this'.

"I'm just so pleased that we as a club have moved on tonight. We needed those points on the table especially after our first two league defeats of the season."

Lillis, who took over when Mark Robins left after the 4-0 defeat against Bournemouth on the opening day of the season, added: "It was a fantastic display and a massive win after all that has happened. The lads really pulled together and I'm very proud of them."

Huddersfield had not won a Championship point and had conceded 10 league and cup goals in three matches prior to their trip to Berkshire.

But they came out with all guns blazing and went ahead in the 10th minute after a calamitous Reading defensive error.

Centre back Michael Hector played a sloppy pass to Hope Akpan, who was easily dispossessed by Jacob Butterfield. The midfielder ran on and curled a clever shot past home goalkeeper Adam Federici.

Reading, previously unbeaten in three league and Capital One Cup outings, had to field a young side due to eight senior players being missing through injury or lack of fitness.

It showed as Huddersfield continued to dictate the pace and deservedly went 2-0 up in the 38th minute.

Harry Bunn was given the freedom of the left flank and allowed to drift into the Reading area before planting an angled shot past Federici.

Reading gradually improved in the second half and were rewarded in the 79th minute when Simon Cox gathered a loose ball on the edge of the area and fired past goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

Reading launched a late rally, with Alex Pearce lobbing on to the top of the crossbar, but Huddersfield held on.

"It was horrendous defending for those two goals," Reading manager Nigel Adkins said. "They were shocking goals to concede and it made the game more challenging for us.

"At 2-0, Huddersfield had something to cling on to. We had to try to break them down but we didn't pass the ball quickly enough to do that.

"In the first half, we weren't at the level we were looking for. We didn't pass the ball calmly enough. But at least we finished strongly and we've still made a good start to the season."

Huddersfield midfielder Oliver Norwood has been linked with Reading and did not feature at the Madejski.

"He didn't play for them tonight," Adkins said. "So maybe there's something in the offing. We'll wait and see what happens."

Advertisement block