Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Carabao Cup

Capital One Cup Round 2 review

27 August 2014

We take a look at the action in Round 2 of the 2014/15 Capital One Cup

Wednesday 27th August 2014

There was drama of the highest order in the Yorkshire derby as Bradford City came from behind to beat 10-man Leeds United 2-1.

Leeds midfielder Luke Murphy was dismissed in the first half for two bookable offences but Dave Hockaday's men went ahead in the 82nd minute courtesy of a Matt Smith header.

Back came the Bantams, though, and after Billy Knott had levelled with a left-footed drive from the edge of the area on 84 minutes, James Hanson headed home the winner just 120 seconds later to give Bradford the bragging rights, and a place in Round 3.

But it was Leyton Orient and Burton Albion who pulled off the biggest shocks of Wednesday night by overcoming Aston Villa and Queens Park Rangers respectively.

Romain Vincelot scored the only goal of the game at Villa Park for the O's in the 87th minute, while Adam McGurk's free-kick sent the Sky Bet League 2 Brewers into the Third Round at the expense of Harry Redknapp's side.

Elsewhere, last season's finalists Sunderland won 3-0 away at Birmingham City, with all three goals coming in the last 13 minutes, and Stoke City saw off League 2 Portsmouth by the same scoreline. Jon Walters grabbed the first two before Peter Crouch wrapped up the victory and a place in Round 3 in injury time.

Tuesday 26th August 2014

Milton Keynes Dons pulled off one of the biggest upsets in recent Capital One Cup history as they ran riot in the second half to see off Manchester United 4-0.

The Premier League side had the better of the opening 20 mintes but the Sky Bet League 1 outfit took the lead after Will Grigg capitalised on a Jonny Evans error.

Another from Grigg and a brace from second-half substitute Benik Afobe completed a truly remarkable scoreline at stadiummk, with United crashing out in Round 2 for the first time since 1995/96 when they were defeated 4-3 on aggregate by York City.

They weren’t the only top-flight side to exit the Capital One Cup at the hands of third-tier opposition, with Sheffield United beating West Ham United 5-4 on penalties following a 1-1 draw after extra-time at Upton Park.

Other Premier League casualties saw Burnley beaten 1-0 at Turf Moor by Sheffield Wednesday, while Leicester City were dumped out by Shrewsbury Town, of Sky Bet League 2, after a single Andy Mangan strike.

West Bromwich Albion, meanwhile, needed sudden-death penalties to finally see off the challenge of Oxford United. After a 1-1 draw, Albion missed their first two spot-kicks but eventually came through 7-6 to avoid a Round 2 giant-killing.

The remaining Premier League clubs all safely advanced into the Third Round.

Newcastle United had an own goal to thank for their 1-0 success at Gillingham, Southampton were 2-0 victors away at Millwall, Swansea City beat Rotherham United 1-0 and a first-half hat-trick from Dwight Gayle saw Crystal Palace easily come through at Walsall 3-0.

Another upset on Tuesday night saw Doncaster Rovers edge a 2-1 scoreline at Watford; Nathan Tyson and Liam Wakefield cancelling out Lloyd Dyer’s effort for the Hornets.

The remaining 10 games were all won by Sky Bet Championship clubs, with Bournemouth, Fulham, Derby County, Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough, Norwich City, Cardiff City and Reading all advancing within 90 minutes, while Brighton and Hove Albion and Bolton Wanderers both needed extra-time to make it into Wednesday’s Round 3 draw.

Advertisement block