Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Bury display pleases manager David Flitcroft

24 August 2014

Bury manager David Flitcroft felt his side were good value for their 2-1 home win against Plymouth.

The hosts were excellent in the first half and led 2-0 after 15 minutes through goals from Tom Soares and Danny Rose.

Plymouth pulled one back through a 66th-minute penalty by Reuben Reid and Bury were left hanging on after Daniel Nardiello went off injured after all three substitutions had been made.

But the Shakers registered their first home victory of the season, making it seven points from nine, and Flitcroft felt they were worthy winners.

"The first half was complete and total domination in every aspect," he said.

"We dictated play, controlled the tempo, and when we sped the play up in the last third the quality was incredible so I'm delighted with the two goals.

"It should have been over by half time, we dominated play for long spells so deservedly got the three points.

"League Two's like that, you're not going to have it all your own way for 95 minutes. Had we made it 3-0 there would have been no comeback, so it's that cutting edge I'm after, which we're working hard to achieve. We're still a work in progress.

"With Nards coming off we were hanging on there for 15 minutes, we had to dig in, but we did. The lads embraced that brilliantly.

"To get that first home win was important. It was a fantastic three points and tops off a good week for us."

Bury were in front inside five minutes as Soares got a glancing header to Nicky Adams' inswinging free-kick.

Danny Mayor and Tom Soares then combined to find Ryan Lowe down the right and his low cross was tapped in by Rose for his third goal in three games.

Plymouth made a triple substitution on 53 minutes and shortly after Pablo Mills fouled Reid, with the Argyle striker smashing in the spot- kick.

Reid then got booked after appealing for another penalty, for handball by Bury defender Nathan Cameron, before Kelvin Mellor went closest to equalising late on.

"In the second half we were the team that was pushing on but you can't give yourselves a start like that," said manager John Sheridan.

"It's always an uphill battle after that, especially against a team like Bury because they keep the ball well.

"You can't concede goals like that. One or two people didn't do their jobs properly and I let them know that at half-time.

"But once we matched them up with a 3-5-2 I thought we were the better team. I thought the game was there to get something out of it but I just don't think the lads really believed that.

"We definitely should have had another penalty and we had one or two other chances. It was a lovely pitch to play on but one or two players were off their game.

"If we were braver and a bit cuter I think we would have caused them a few more problems and got something out of it."

Advertisement block