Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

We dug in - Phil Brown

21 April 2014

Phil Brown could not hide his delight after Barry Corr's strike earned Southend United a 1-0 win over Accrington Stanley and all-but secured their a Play-Off place.

The Irishman's close-range finish means the sixth placed Shrimpers are now six points clear of Oxford, who are eighth, with just two games to go.

And only a swing of 10 goals can now deny Southend a top seven finish.

"It was all about having to grind out a result and I'm delighted we got it because we're virtually sure of the play-offs now," said Brown.

"We were anxious at times but we dug in, showed good resilience and could maybe have scored a couple more in the end.

"After missing out on the top three, we readjusted our sights to the play-offs and now we will re-adjust them again to try and win them.

"But we still have two league games to go and we won't be taking them lightly because we want to keep our momentum going and make sure we're in the best shape possible.

"I'm also delighted for Barry because he's responded well to the suspension he had and he's on a good run of goal-scoring form now.

Sixth placed Southend have now won five of their last six games but they were made to work hard for their latest victory.

The Shrimpers found it hard to create chances but almost went in front just before the break when Ryan Leonard headed John White's cross just wide of the left post.

However, Southend made the breakthrough in the 64th minute when Corr fired a low, 12 yard shot in to the bottom left-hand corner of the net after being teed up by Will Atkinson.

Corr then scuffed an eight yard shot wide of the left post before Accrington almost levelled with substitute Shay McCartan having a powerful volley tipped wide of the right post by Shrimpers goalkeeper Daniel Bentley, who kept his 19th clean sheet of the season.

And that frustrated Accrington boss James Beattie.

"It's disappointing because our goalkeeper only had one save to make and the only other time he touched it was to pick the ball out the net," said Beattie.

"But the lads were tremendous; we frustrated Southend in the first half and quietened the crowd.

"I'm also not sure about the drop ball decision which led to Southend's goal.

"We agreed to play the ball back but the referee thought otherwise but that's gone now, the game is over and we need to focus on our remaining games."

Advertisement block