Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Now for Sky Bet League 1 title - Jackett

12 April 2014

Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Kenny Jackett has called on his side to maintain their form for the final four games in order to clinch the Sky Bet League 1 title after a 2-0 win at Crewe Alexandra guaranteed promotion.

Jackett's side are 13 points clear of third-placed Leyton Orient with four games left to play and have climbed straight back to the Championship at the first attempt.

Wolves went ahead in fortunate circumstances when Kevin McDonald cut in from the right to hit a shot which Crewe goalkeeper Ben Garratt would have dealt with had it not taken a hefty deflection to skip past him into the bottom corner.

A piece of opportunism from Dave Edwards effectively killed the game off with the former Wales international finding space on the edge of the box from a throw-in and a clever manoeuvre left him free to poke the ball with the outside of his boot into the far corner.

"It's a great feeling to get promotion with four games still to play," Jackett said.

"Now we've got to look forward and try and get the title, this has put us in a great position with Brentford losing.

"It is good to bounce back into the Championship at the first attempt.

"We'll have a summer planning what we want to do and we have to aim high, but we're not looking too far ahead other than wanting to go on and win the league.

"It's a very competitive at the top of this league and we didn't hit the top until two-thirds of the way through the season.

"But once we did we have been very consistent and our defending recently has been excellent."

Crewe boss Steve Davis conceded it was a case of damage limitation after Chuks Aneke's red card had left his side with a mountain to climb.

Aneke's elbow connected with centre-half Richard Stearman to earn the Alex lynchpin an early bath right on the half-time whistle and moments after McDonald's opener handed Jackett's men the initiative they never looked like relinquishing.

Davis admitted Aneke's dismissal had effectively killed the game off, although the nature of the offence was something of a mystery to him.

Aneke was called back from the tunnel by referee Darren Bond to receive his punishment after Wolves' players had protested vociferously at the sight of their prone team-mate.

"Everything changed in that five-minute period for us," said Davis.

"The goal clipped off Matt Tootle's heel and I'm not sure what happened with the sending off.

Chuks is the nicest guy on the pitch so it wouldn't have been intentional, but I'm not actually sure it was him.

"It might have been Uche (Ikpeazu) - I'm not sure they got the right guy.

"But it's hard enough playing Wolves at home with 11 men, never mind 10.

"It was about trying to get as much out of the players as we could then.

"If we could have got that one chance then maybe we could have got back into the game.

"We got a few crosses in and did all right, but we couldn't create anything."

Davis added: "It was a tough game playing against the top team.

"It was always going to be tough in the second half and we just wanted to make sure we didn't capitulate and that we kept the score decent.

"I thought we did that with our efforts in the second half."

Advertisement block