Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Dave Penney wanted Southend United penalty

26 April 2014

Southend United assistant Dave Penney made it clear his side should have had a penalty as they secured a Play-Off place with a 1-1 draw at Fleetwood Town.

The Cod Army's failure to win sent both Rochdale and Scunthorpe United up, even though the latter lost, and Graham Alexander's men must hope Chesterfield lose to Burton Albion on Sunday ahead of their meeting with the Spireites next week.

Southend bossed the opening exchanges but found themselves behind eight minutes before the break. Kevan Hurst gave away a free-kick on the left-hand side of the penalty area and Steven Schumacher's low ball evaded everyone and sneaked into the far corner.

The home side's lead lasted just three minutes, however. From a corner from the right, Ben Coker's ball flew past the outstretched hand of goalkeeper Chris Maxwell, and Barry Corr scored with a free header at the back post to haul the Shrimpers level.

However, Penney was more concerned with a crucial second-half incident.

Barry Corr tumbled under the challenge of Antoni Sarcevic and Penney believes referee Chris Sarginson should have awarded a spot-kick.

"Ben was through on goal so if he's not been fouled why would he go down," asked Penney.

"The referee was 10 yards away but was looking back at the fourth official for advice, but he was much further from it so it seemed strange.

"We obviously thought it was a penalty and I would imagine Fleetwood probably didn't but we've got a point and we're pleased to have scored from a set piece because we don't do that enough.

"It also keeps the momentum going for us but there's still another league game to go before we can think of the play-offs.

"In football you never book a holiday in May.

"We've maybe got four more games and we'll see where that takes us."

Fleetwood boss Graham Alexander insists promotion is still in their hands.

He said: "In the first half we struggled against the windy conditions.

"We fell into a lull and invited pressure.

"We took the lead and wanted to take it into half-time.

"We conceded a poor equaliser, then forced the issue second half but couldn't find a way past them.

"Our destiny is still in our own hands, even if we go into the play-offs it's in our own hands.

"If that's the way it goes we'll give it our best shot.

"We'll just see what's at stake next week.

"Whatever happens we'll go into that game at Chesterfield wanting to win and keep up the good run we are on."

Advertisement block