Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

Weir: Sharp second half from Blades

5 October 2013

Sheffield United manager David Weir praised his side's improved second-half display as the Sky bet League One strugglers came from behind to draw 1-1 at home to Crawley.

Jamie Proctor met Andy Drury's cross to give the visitors a 10th-minute lead and the Blades rarely posed a threat to the Reds' defence before half-time.

It was a different story after the break and recent signing Marlon King equalised in the 63rd minute with his first goal for the club after Febian Brandy's pass found him in space inside the area.

The hosts had further chances, with Tony McMahon's long-range effort hitting a post, Brandy heading wide and substitute Conor Coady's shot turned wide by goalkeeper Paul Jones.

The result ended a run of six straight league defeats for the Blades, easing the pressure a little on Weir.

"I think the team answered a few questions in the second-half,`` said Weir. ``In the first-half we were really poor, we didn't turn up and lost a bad goal.

"At half-time we were really honest with ourselves and had to ask ourselves a few questions.

"We could have either gone under or accepted the challenge and stood up to it, and I really thought the group did that.

"It's a tough place to play when things aren't going your way and we were obviously on a run of defeats, which is difficult.

"I thought it was a big game for us in terms of being positive and standing up to the fight.

"There's obviously a lot of areas we can improve on but when you've got the attitude and character like that, it can take you a long way."

Crawley extended their unbeaten league run to six matches but boss Richie Barker felt the West Sussex side should have won the game.

``With our first-half performance, I thought we deserved to be more than one goal up,`` said Barker. ``I think if we'd been two or three up, the game would have been a lot different in the second-half.

"The two halves were very different. There was no way they were going to let us play the way we did in the first-half.

"They were going to change something at half-time and they pressed extremely high up the pitch and stopped us playing. They threw numbers into the box and we were on the rocks for a little bit.

"It's slightly worrying that we've only scored one goal in each of the last three games, but we must be one of the only teams in the Football League who've scored in every league game so far this season.

"We've come here, scored a goal and got a draw but we're disappointed, which shows just how far we've come."

Advertisement block