Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League Two

Brown salutes Corr

18 October 2013

Southend manager Phil Brown was thrilled to see Barry Corr get back among the goals in his side's 2-0 win against Fleetwood at Roots Hall.

The striker had gone 12 games without hitting the back of the net b ut he bagged a brace against Town and got the better of his former flat-mate Ryan Cresswell to fire the Shrimpers to a third successive league win.

"I'm pleased for big Barry and it's great for him to get back among the goals again," said Brown.

"He hasn't got a goal in 12 games but he kept on going and he got his rewards.

"There was a bit of spice on the game for him because he was up against his mate but as far as I'm concerned I hope he can play against an ex-Southend centre-back he's mates with every week now.

"His goals got the win but it was a hard-working display and I thought we deserved all three points.

"The 4-3-3 formation worked well again and that's three league wins in a row for us now so I'm obviously very pleased, especially as we've kept clean sheets in all of those matches as well."

Fleetwood, who sit second in the League Two table, started brightly with David Ball forcing Daniel Bentley in to two early saves.

But the Shrimpers went in front in the 21st minute when Kevan Hurst's brilliant right-wing cross picked out Corr at the far post and he bundled the ball home from close range.

Fleetwood soon hit back with Antoni Sarcevic curling a 25-yard free-kick against the outside of the right post and he then fired a long-range shot inches wide at the start of the second half.

However, the visitors rarely threatened after that and Corr bagged his second of the night, in the 81st minute, from the penalty spot.

The Irishman sent his 12-yard shot high in to the left-hand side of the goal after Will Atkinson had been brought down by Liam Hogan.

But Fleetwood boss Graham Alexander, who was up against his former Preston manager Phil Brown, was disappointed by the decision and his team's display.

"We've conceded a poor goal in the first half which put us on the back foot but we had some really good chances that we didn't take," said Alexander.

"We tried to press Southend but didn't have enough quality around the box.

"We responded well to going behind and passed the ball well but couldn't find the end product.

"We have a great team here and you take bumps and bruises on the way and we just have to take it on the chin.

"But I'm adamant that the Hogan won the ball when the referee gave a penalty, I have watched it back on video and it wasn't a penalty."

Advertisement block