Skip to main content Skip to site footer
League One

League 1 Play-Off Final - match report

19 May 2013

Three budding sports journalists won a day out at Wembley thanks to a partnership between The Football League and the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).

This season the NCTJ has held a competition to recognise the best performing sports journalism students. The three winning students were rewarded for their outstanding exam performance with the unique opportunity of writing a Play-Off Final match report from the Wembley press box.

Read Liam Twomey's report from the League 1 Final below:

Brentford 1-2 Yeovil Town
npower League 1 Play-Off Final
Wembley Stadium
19th May 2013
Attendance 41,955

By Liam Twomey

Paddy Madden and Dan Burn broke Brentford hearts as Yeovil Town reached the Championship for the first time in their history after a pulsating League 1 Play-Off Final at Wembley.

goal of the season to give the Glovers an early lead.thBurn headed the winner on 41 minutes after Madden had notched his 24

Harlee Dean pulled one back for Brentford five minutes after the break but, despite waves of late pressure from the Bees, Yeovil held on to reach English football's second tier for the first time ever.

For Brentford, though, a third Play-Off Final defeat means a failed end to an impressive season which came within a Marcello Trotta penalty kick of promotion against Doncaster Rovers.

Bees manager Uwe Rosler named an unchanged starting XI to the one which overcame Swindon Town in the semis, while Yeovil boss Gary Johnson also kept faith with the players who stunned Sheffield United.

A raucous Wembley crowd inspired a high intensity start. Yeovil captain James McAllister saw his nose blooded in an aerial challenge with Clayton Donaldson, resulting in lengthy treatment, before Madden had a fierce shot blocked by Brentford captain Tony Craig.

Madden did break the deadlock on six minutes though, and in spectacular fashion. Sam Foley's firm effort deflected off Shaleum Logan into the path of the League 1 top scorer on the edge of the area, and he curled the ball brilliantly into the top corner with the outside of his foot.

Brentford, to their credit, did not react like a team which had not won any of their previous five matches in regulation time. They quickly steadied themselves with prolonged spells of possession, preventing their opponents from getting forward in numbers.

Despite winning a succession of corners and free-kicks in the final third, they rarely troubled the Yeovil defence and failed to test Glovers goalkeeper Marek Stech.

And Johnson's men made them pay on 41 minutes, when Ed Upson's hanging corner was met at the back post by Burn - the big centre-back's header bouncing through a group of players and well over the line before Logan's desperate attempted clearance.

Brentford rallied, and in first-half injury time Jake Bidwell's surging run and cross picked out Marcello Trotta in the box, but the on-loan Fulham striker's tame header was comfortably saved by Stech and Yeovil took a commanding lead into the break.

The Bees began the second period as Yeovil had started the first, however, and within five minutes got themselves back into the match.

Dean met Adam Forshaw's pin-point corner with a bullet header from eight yards which left Stech flailing and the Brentford fans behind the goal with renewed belief.

Rosler's men continued to dominate possession, but also began to seriously trouble the Yeovil defence with the improved quality of their deliveries from wide areas.

On 64 minutes Clayton Donaldson's glancing header from Harry Forrester's inviting cross had Stech at full stretch to parry, before substitute Bradley Wright-Phillips was denied a simple tap-in by a determined McAllister on the rebound.

Brentford kept pushing forward and four minutes later Forshaw neatly exchanged passes with Sam Saunders - on for Forrester - before surging into the box and firing low straight at Stech.

Yeovil could barely get out of their half but had a penalty shout turned down with 15 minutes to go, when Kevin Dawson went down under a challenge from Jake Bidwell.

The Bees were piling on the pressure, though, and on 83 minutes Wright-Philips' smart volley on the turn was beaten away by Stech after good work from Saunders and Donaldson.

Logan and Dean also went close but could not find an equaliser, and Yeovil held on for a historic victory which sent their thousands of travelling fans wild.

Brentford (4-3-3): Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Adeyemi, Forshaw, Diagouraga (Hayes 82); Donaldson, Trotta (Wright-Phillips 62), Forrester (Saunders 67).

Substitutes not used: Gounet, O'Connor, Hodson, Douglas.

Yeovil Town (4-4-2): Stech; Ayling, Webster, Burn, McAllister (Maksimenko 78); Dawson, Upson, Edwards, Foley; Madden, Hayter (Dolan 88).

Substitutes not used: Stewart, Hinds, Williams, Young, Balanta

Referee: Mr A D'Urso

Advertisement block